Neighborhood outlaws livestock and kitchen gardens

Well, if you're living in Calgary, which is where I grew up, you're most likely out of luck.

You will have far better luck putting a massive cell phone or TV tower in your yard. Unlike gardens, cell towers are not restricted by law. As long as you have a contract with whoever's going to build the tower, there's actually no legal way for anybody around you to protest or object, or to stop the construction. In theory City Council can help you; in practice they're not going to. Unlike in other industrialized countries, there are no minimum distances between your tower and other people's homes or bedrooms. One church in southwest Calgary is currently adding a third cell tower in its one to two acre lot. They're putting in a massive TV tower out in their parking lot, because the two smaller towers in their steeple weren't raking in enough income. The original contract was for a much smaller tower, and in fact their building license was for a smaller tower too, but they pulled a switcheroo in order to get more money. Despite protests from a majority of home owners (the church is located in a residential suburb, one most of the congregants don't actually live in), the construction is going ahead.

You, however, will be fined for having a single laying hen.

Looking at the picture in that story... is the GARDEN the eye-sore when looking at the other yards that you can see in that picture?  it's not like it's beatifully upkept super green lawns in that neighborhood.

when did we become a nation that outlawed food?  i was raised by my grandparents and we were in a city subdivision, at least HALF the people in the neighborhood had gardens.  the only complaints ever made were when the men started comparing who had the best/biggest/tastiest tomatoes, or whatever.

:yuckyuck
This is the whole reason I am fighting to stay in my own home on my own property and not in subsidized State/Government housing. My health is very important to me. I am already physically limited and have asthma among too many other neurological problems. :rolleyes:Some of my problems were caused by exposure to toxins. Cigarette, perfume/cologne, molds/mildew and pesticides are a big problem for me. Most of which are very prevalent in those environments. :(And to my amazement they do not allow gardens on those properties!!! :barnie I'd rather you teach me to fish than give me a fish!!!! :drool I eat better and longer that way! :confused: DUH I don't get Government.

I too live in the country/woodland/forest/wetland "boondocks" area. :weee I love it. I do without due to location and finances but hey I can do something for myself here..... animals, chickens, hunting, gardening, composting right out in open (and I don't have wildlife drawn in to the compost either). I have fresh organic totally free range chickens and eggs. :jumpy

Back
Top Bottom