Neighbors and chickens - need to take action

GIJoe12

In the Brooder
Mar 26, 2021
Hello. I have been raising chickens off and on for over 10 years. Unfortunately, some newish neighbors and some old ones, as well, object to how I raise my birds. My birds are well cared for, but people who have never had them cannot understand the noises they make and why. There has not been a verbal confrontation, or discussion because they will not respond, and I am on the spectrum, so talking is not my strong suit. Generally they rush outside (they live 2 doors down) and shine lights on me in my yard and have encouraged others to do the same everyone I am outside and a chicken peeps. If o touch them at any point they rush out and begin screaming. I am at my wits end with these folks. I try to ignore them, and now the person who lives behind me shines his headlights on me as I check on the birds before bed. Mind you, they do not make a sound when I look on on them.

If I so much as handle my birds out of their sight, they throw a fit. I guess because they cannot see me and my birds are not accustomed to being held, they assume the worst. A few weeks ago, my rooster was screeching and I was seated on the side of my house. The neighbors did a 3-point turn in my driveway, and then went into the driveway of the other house across the street to look down where I was seated. It is impossible to see where I was so they went home. The next night, 4 floodlights from the neighboring homes turned on when I went out. People were whistling and calling to me. The next day, someone was cursing at me. I try to ignore it. I am at my wits end and am contemplating getting rid of my birds and abandoning my garden. If I so much as walk up the street and pass their home, they violently open the screen door. I have never turned and looked at them, so I do not know if they come out.

I think this may be a consequence of my next-door neighbor whose son stabbed my duck about 7 years ago. (He was in my backyard poking my bleeding duck and there was the bloody stick next to them. We had to inform his parents to come get him out of the yard.) They were enraged that we thought he did it (the other neighbor did too). The duck died. The kid’s behavioral problems increasedThey started dumping trash in my backyard. I threw said trash in the trash can. I feel his mother may have spread rumors and I heard one of them. She moved several months ago. The other members of my household had good rapport with that family, but they hated me.

Does anyone have any advice? Someone I live with has tried to talk to one household, but was literally waved on. They did not want to talk. I can provide more detail if need be. I am crushed that I am the pariah of the neighborhood and nobody has thought to ask me anything.
Edit: There are many roosters on my street.

Last edited:
Honestly. This sounds like harassment and I would call the authorities. If they have an issue with the way you keep your pets and/or livestock, they can contact animal control or any other persons or jurisdictions in charge in your area. But what they're doing right now is Harassing You and I would call the cops next time this happens. Show them you're not afraid of them, don't give up on your chickens and your garden just because your neighbors can't get their heads out of their own butts, its your property, your animals, your life. If your neighbors think something is wrong they can call animal control and animal control can check it out, but they need to stop doing this to you.

unfortunately from what I learnt growing up in cities is that city people love harrassing their neighbours and pick on those that don't harrass back.
This obviously depends on the neighbourhood a lot but the neighbouhoods where trash is thrown into ones neighbours garden, lot of standing in doorways and general cursing is performed are generally the less desirable neighbourhoods.
My old neighbours did routinely call animal control but the main reason they did it is because I had a cockerel and he used to crow every morning, this put my house in the spotlight.
I am on the autistic side myself and I know what it is like, neurotypical people pick on others that are different just like chickens form a pecking order and bully the weak.
I am sure aliens exist and I'm sure they've visited us in the past but they would not dare come back again because knowing humans if an alien were to want to seek asylum on earth I can guarantee you that alien would not survive on earth for more than a year. Either some government would abduct it and dissect it or people scared of it would torch down its home at night.
I know this paints a critical picture and most neurotypical people think we are a lovely species but as a neurodivergent I know people discriminate as standard behavior all the time. If you are not on the receiving end then humans might be lovely. We used to enslave our own up until not too long ago, I wish I was less critical but it is a lifetime of dealing with morons.

I was lucky enough to be able to move in the end and it has been such a change, here people are friendlier, they don't bother me and there is less antisocial behavior.

I would advise you try to move if you can. If you can't, get rid of your cockerel. I gave up mine after 7 years but he had to go in the end. I would advise you ask someone close to you to help, tell them your plan but that you will struggle to do it. I find that helps me to do things I would otherwise just put off doing.

Last edited:
Honestly. This sounds like harassment and I would call the authorities. If they have an issue with the way you keep your pets and/or livestock, they can contact animal control or any other persons or jurisdictions in charge in your area. But what they're doing right now is Harassing You and I would call the cops next time this happens. Show them you're not afraid of them, don't give up on your chickens and your garden just because your neighbors can't get their heads out of their own butts, its your property, your animals, your life. If your neighbors think something is wrong they can call animal control and animal control can check it out, but they need to stop doing this to you.
Thank you. I wish they would call Animal Control already!

unfortunately from what I learnt growing up in cities is that city people love harrassing their neighbours and pick on those that don't harrass back.
This obviously depends on the neighbourhood a lot but the neighbouhoods where trash is thrown into ones neighbours garden, lot of standing in doorways and general cursing is performed are generally the less desirable neighbourhoods.
My old neighbours did routinely call animal control but the main reason they did it is because I had a cockerel and he used to crow every morning, this put my house in the spotlight.
I am on the autistic side myself and I know what it is like, neurotypical people pick on others that are different just like chickens form a pecking order and bully the weak.
I am sure aliens exist and I'm sure they've visited us in the past but they would not dare come back again because knowing humans if an alien were to want to seek asylum on earth I can guarantee you that alien would not survive on earth for more than a year. Either some government would abduct it and dissect it or people scared of it would torch down its home at night.
I know this paints a critical picture and most neurotypical people think we are a lovely species but as a neurodivergent I know people discriminate as standard behavior all the time. If you are not on the receiving end then humans might be lovely. We used to enslave our own up until not too long ago, I wish I was less critical but it is a lifetime of dealing with morons.

I was lucky enough to be able to move in the end and it has been such a change, here people are friendlier, they don't bother me and there is less antisocial behavior.

I would advise you try to move if you can. If you can't, get rid of your cockerel. I gave up mine after 7 years but he had to go in the end. I would advise you ask someone close to you to help, tell them your plan but that you will struggle to do it. I find that helps me to do things I would otherwise just put off doing.
Thank you so much for your response. And yes, I do believe this is happening because I am ND. They have laughed at me a few times. I may have to give up the rooster. He keeps attacking me probably because he senses my uneasiness while I am outside.

If something is quit wrong for a long time it is hard to change these things. I know how it is to live in a friendly neighbourhood where people of different ‘plumage’ respect each others way of living. But we do listen to complaints if there are any. I wish for you a neighbourhood like mine after all this trouble.

E.g. Some years ago I had a rooster and it annoyed a few people (waking up too early). I decided to give the rooster away. The neighbours thanked me for it. If I had lived in another neighbourhood people probably would have gotten angry without asking in a friendly and understanding way.

It’s important to listen to each other and it is possible , if you are on one side of the spectrum , you did listen but maybe couldn’t interpret the signals as most people would do. Talking to them with a “guide”, maybe is the only way out if you don’t want to move yo a better neighbourhood.

But don’t have too high hopes doing so. Maybe these folks are very a-social and there is no way to live peacefully together. Accusing people children of wrong behaviour is often a no go for people. I encountered that too and my husband had a neighbour threatening him so mean that I called the police. This happened where we lived many years ago.

What I learned is that life gets a lot easier if you can live somewhere without such neighbours. And moving to another neighbourhood might be the best solution for you too after all.
Also help from others (family, friends or professionals) can help lot. Most important is that people around you learn that you have a good heart but are not a person who is good in social small talk. That you care about you’re animals and want to live in harmony with the neighbours. If they are willing to listen it can make a difference.

🤔 I believe the most successful step to a happier live possibly will be to make a new start somewhere else. With the help of family or friends to let you get acquainted with you’re new neighbours.

Consider barricade/privacy type fencing. If you can't afford to do the whole yard, put it around your coop/run area. With a door for it, you would be able to lock it when you're not around, and at night so it would keep unwanted neighbors out. This will stop a lot of the neighbors' nosiness, since they can't see anything so easily, and their lights won't disturb the chickens as much.

Good fences make good neighbors.

Back
Top Bottom