Neighbors and noise

This is funny... we live in an area zoned "rural residential" and may therefore keep animals for our "own purposes"... Our neighbors next door love the chickens, but the ones across the road (one acre parcels) COMPLETELY flipped out when we got them, and have not spoken with us since, even though my husband attempted to discuss their concerns with them. Today my other neighbor got a "cease and desist" for running a business out of his home... selling eggs.
lau.gif
He has no chickens. We don't sell eggs, we give them to friends. Some of the friends chip in a few bucks for feed from time to time, but that is not the same as us selling them. Someone is grasping at straws.
hu.gif
Amazing that my "conservative small government" neighbors are so concerned about what happens in my back yard... out of sight of their home! Whatever. My hubby noticed as we were re-reading the codes that it is totally acceptable to do other fun things like "erect an antennae of no more than 70 feet".
big_smile.png
Good times!!

This would be my answer too!! I love hearing them! roos & all!! I think,which doesn't mean anything, is anyone that doesn't enjoy animals (birds, whatever) anything that has a heart, doesn't have a heart!

Quote:
Me too.

Those are the type of neighbors that drive me buggy. Because they will nit pick about any issue they can come up with just to cause a problem. Thank Goodness I live in the country, and share my eggs with my neighbors, since we do have a roo who like to crow. Bless his heart.
love.gif

WE have had NIGHTMARE neighbors in the past (not since we moved and got chickens) but horrible none the less and that is not a fun situation.
I could understand if you had a rooster, but hen noises are pretty pleasant. Maybe you could kind of insulate that one side of the run once you move it to help as a sound barrior, or surround it with bushes... Also I give my hens tons of toys. We have rolled pine cones in peanut butter and bird seed, give them refuse from the garden,

So sorry you have this issue.I only have one set of neighbors to worry about and no complaints yet.Its been 9 months since I began my chicken adventure. I live smack dab in the middle of town. I live on a corner. So one side is the street. I have a business behind me that is m-f 8-5. My neighbors garage side of his house is next to mine. I would say that this was a silent blessing.Right now my girls produce just enough to keep me from buying them. Not enough to share if there were a problem...Sorry long winded...
old.gif

I am waiting for my neighbor to complain. Our much-loved 7 mo hens have been noisier and noisier as they announce their eggs each mid-morn, and we live in a suburb beside a very quiet guy. He politely complained about dog barks, so we adjusted our routine so dogs didn't bark. He politely complained that boys shooting hoops in summer evenings was too loud, so we compromised and boys hoop it up only until 8pm. I just know the chickens are next but I might have used up all my flexible accomodations dude! The coop is in far corner away from him and kept pretty tidy, I will double check the city laws, and I like the sound barrier suggestions in this post. Beyond that, I love these girls, my boys love the daily egg hunt, our compost bin is thriving like never before, other neighbors like the sound effects ... so gosh, I don't really see much to fuss about??
woot.gif

I can relate to this! I have a neighborhood ordinance for no fowl. I own 16 acres and there are cows, horses, and goats all around me. I checked with the neighbor who is within hearing distance who owns 8 LARGE barking dogs who visit my pond frequently. I told her I was getting chickens and hoped she didn't have a problem with it. She said as long as I shared eggs it would be ok. I then informed her recently I was getting bees and she FREAKED!! She is afraid of them. . . . I am anxious to see how this goes.

We had a nightmare neighbor as well, which would take me about 3 pages to go through...bottom line was they hated my chickens. They are gone now...
wee.gif
clap.gif
ya.gif

However.... I great thing to keep chicken busy for HOURS is cabbage tetherball. Hang a chain or string with a screw tied to the end. Then you can screw in any kind of veggies..... cabbage, lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower etc. My chickens all surround the "tetherball". One makes a grab and twists off a piece sending it flying to the other chickens to catch.... and on and on. THEY LOVE IT! They get treats, nutrients and entertainment!

I wanted to have a cockeral for my girls, so I got one. A small one. I made an arrangement with the farm that if the noise became an issue they would take him back.

I let my neighbour know I had a cockeral but if it became a problem, he would be returned to sender. Well a few weeks went by, the mornings got lighter and lighter and the boy made a very shrill cock-a-doodle and we made the decision to take him back to the farm. Saw my neighbours wife a week or so later and let her know he'd been rehomed. Her reply? "Oh, I was beginning to like his call"
he.gif

I won't get another, because I'm mindful the neighbourhood has others who may not have liked his morning call
wink.png

Now, if someone complained about my hens? Tough luck on them. As an earlier poster pointed out, crows make an irritating racket (as do the magpies, herring gulls and the local dogs barking).

You've agreed to move your setup; that is as much as you should be expected to do.

Speak to your neighbour, be polite and let him know that you've thought about this and moving your setup is the compromise you are prepared to make.

Back
Top Bottom