Neighbors Animals Invading my Property

horsewoman54

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 25, 2013
Our next door neighbor has three roosters and a pet raccoon. Lately my Buff Orpington Rooster, James, has been bloodied up pretty good. Found out he's been cockfighting these other roosters coming into our yard. Our neighbor doesn't feel he needs to keep his animals in his own yard. We are all on five acre ranchettes. We have taken to the BB gun everytime these roosters come over. Now they let their "pet raccoon" out and he's constantly in our yard. I free range a small flock of about 12 hens. He says his raccoon doesn't bother chickens, but it is only three months old. Has anyone dealt with this and what did you do? He never keeps his animals on his own property.

That's definitely a sticky situation. Does your neighbor lock up the animals at night? I would invest in a pistol for the raccoon if it came on my property... Course, I'm a bow hunter, so if I kill something, it's very quiet, and your neighbor would never know... But that's only if it attacked my chickens on MY property.
Be careful, if you don't take precautions or are ready to take action, you might lose your flock of parts of it at a time.

It's illegal most places to have a 'pet' raccoon without a permit from the state DNR. I'd be taking care of that issue fast if it was my neighbor. A fence between your yard and theirs might keep the birds apart, or again, a more permanent fix might be needed. Mary

It's illegal most places to have a 'pet' raccoon without a permit from the state DNR. I'd be taking care of that issue fast if it was my neighbor. A fence between your yard and theirs might keep the birds apart, or again, a more permanent fix might be needed. Mary
^^^ X2. I don't know where it it legal to keep a pet raccoon without a permit. They are known to carry rabies. I'm always a nice neighbor, we all have animals. Mine NEVER leave my yard. I politely warn once. Strong "this is what will happen" for the second offence. 3 strikes, your critter disappears. I don't bother you and won't allow you to bother me.

Your neighbor may be much like I was as a kid. The roosters coming on to you is clearly a livestock trespassing issue. Problem you will likely experience is your bird will cross the line if his does not, especially if neighbor has hens. At some point the raccoon is going to go after chickens it can reach after dark. Pets of that sort I had only messed around during the day until they got to the point where they were willing to tackle a chicken. I am not certain on legal codes for raccoons as pets although I suspect the owner, if properly permitted, is obligated to keep the raccoon confined. If not permitted, like I used to be, then technically in the eyes of the state the raccoon is wild. In setting I had risk posed by free-ranging raccoon was manageable although yours, based on personal experience will not be sustainable. The raccoon will by this fall get very capable of going after your birds but will likely get neighbors birds first. The cohabiting bit now will have no bearing this fall.

I would call animal control if you have one to find out what they say. If not said animals would go missing. You can catch the raccoon and give it to the wild life refuge and the chickens can get a new home or become dinner!

Back
Top Bottom