Neighbors Cats Scoping out my Chickens

Glad I came across this thread. I let my 4 chickens out this weekend to free range for the first time. They stayed pretty close to my barn where they live and didn't wander to far. I was working at the barn so I could keep a close eye on them. My house is frequented by at least two hawks on a fairly regular basis. So, as I was keeping an eye on the chickens, I kept my eyes trained on the sky. At one point I could only see two of the hens. I went looking for the other two and found them on the other side of the barn out of sight. When I got to that side and found them, there was a new cat that I had never seen before about 25 yds away staring at the hens. I was wondering if a cat could take away a full size hen and sounds like it can. Guess I better looking up as well as down for predators.
Rob

Glad I came across this thread. I let my 4 chickens out this weekend to free range for the first time. They stayed pretty close to my barn where they live and didn't wander to far. I was working at the barn so I could keep a close eye on them. My house is frequented by at least two hawks on a fairly regular basis. So, as I was keeping an eye on the chickens, I kept my eyes trained on the sky. At one point I could only see two of the hens. I went looking for the other two and found them on the other side of the barn out of sight. When I got to that side and found them, there was a new cat that I had never seen before about 25 yds away staring at the hens. I was wondering if a cat could take away a full size hen and sounds like it can. Guess I better looking up as well as down for predators.
Rob
I would really like to let my birds free range. But the cosequences are just too great.

Hey folks .. couldn’t help myself, I had to chime in
wink.png

I am a responsible cat owner, having two indoor cats who have an enclosed outdoor play area. They are lead trained and get to go for walks; this is not only for their safety but also the safety of the wildlife and the fact that I do not think it is fair to my neighbours to have my animals intruding on their lives. Sadly, my neighbours are not of the same mindset.

Blooie I have lost count of the number of times I have been chastised for “not letting cats be cats and hunt and prowl etc” and “it is cruel to keep them inside”. I rescued my cats from a shelter and both the shelter and the Vet have advised that the average life span of an outdoor cat is 3 years, while the average life span of an indoor cat is 12-14 years .. cruel? My cats are spoiled rotten and have many cat towers and toys.

However, the neighbour across the road has a cat who visits our property regularly and who I do not trust. He likes to lay in our driveway but has not ventured into the back yard [yet].

I have made my coop and run as safe as I can and free range is always supervised. I chase away the neighbours cat whenever I see him and I would never hurt him but trust me, if I ever find him close to my gals, my neighbour is going to learn that I have a dark side
somad.gif

I have told them that I have chickens and that their cat visits my property but when they see him laying on the driveway, they ignore it and just smile.

I wonder if they will be smiling when they are down at the animal shelter paying to get their cat back? [Or, if they would even bother].

I will stop because I could go on for hours, but it really peeves me that I am a responsible cat owner but my gals are ‘not safe’ because of the irresponsible pet owners.

I have no doubt that the neighbour’s cat will get run over one day but they will just go out and get another one!
duc.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom