Neighbors chicken ate Amdro

Vickischics

Life, is a Learning curve.
May 6, 2020
On the East Coast of the Sunshine State
As a new chicken raiser, I am baffled by what my neighbor disclosed. Her husband put Amdro, used to kill fire amts all over outside. The problem is she allows them to "Free Range". I love the idea but, the chickens eating the Amdro(Fire Ant killer granules), I just dont know what to say. Do ya'll think her chickens will live?

As a new chicken raiser, I am baffled by what my neighbor disclosed. Her husband put Amdro, used to kill fire amts all over outside. The problem is she allows them to "Free Range". I love the idea but, the chickens eating the Amdro(Fire Ant killer granules), I just dont know what to say. Do ya'll think her chickens will live?
Since No one responded, You must be as Baffled as WE are.
Well, we shall see.
I personally dont use that stuff because, it doesnt work. Those Florida Fire ants just move to another spot. Lol

Obviously it isn't a good idea to use pesticides like that when you have birds that have access to those areas. There are multiple other ways to eliminate fire ants that are safer for the birds albeit not as effective as pesticides. That being said, perhaps they don't experience an issue as the Amdro is granulated, rather than pelleted. I know when I was ten or so, my dad used a large ant poison on the yard. The birds ingested the poison and we lost all of them. Perhaps they don't allow the birds on the yard for several days after applying?

Obviously it isn't a good idea to use pesticides like that when you have birds that have access to those areas. There are multiple other ways to eliminate fire ants that are safer for the birds albeit not as effective as pesticides. That being said, perhaps they don't experience an issue as the Amdro is granulated, rather than pelleted. I know when I was ten or so, my dad used a large ant poison on the yard. The birds ingested the poison and we lost all of them. Perhaps they don't allow the birds on the yard for several days after applying?
Thank you. I spoke with her this morning and she reported no dead chickens. But, I warned her of what you said. Her 2-4 year old Hens are free range with her Mini Horses and haven't even laid yet that she can find. So I gave her 2 doz eggs this morning. Thanks for the info.
I do not use that stuff and my pullet girls are in an enclosed run with a coop and are fed. Hers are on their own. If they try to come over, my girls run them off. & so does my GSD. Lol

Thank you. I spoke with her this morning and she reported no dead chickens. But, I warned her of what you said. Her 2-4 year old Hens are free range with her Mini Horses and haven't even laid yet that she can find. So I gave her 2 doz eggs this morning. Thanks for the info.
I do not use that stuff and my pullet girls are in an enclosed run with a coop and are fed. Hers are on their own. If they try to come over, my girls run them off. & so does my GSD. Lol

I use amdro because it is safer than the alternatives... i think the chickens would have to eat one big giant pile to get sick. Its mostly a corn meal like substance, that's what attracts them, the sweetness. But the poison is activated after they chew it up into a paste for their larvae... then it spreads on their skin as they all walk past each other/bring food back for the larvae/queen. Im sure its not the greatest that they are eating it, but they should be ok. Crossing fingers for the chickens!!

We have tons of fire ants around here and the best way I have found to get rid of them is to use a large propane torch that can be found at Harbor Freight. Stir them up real good and break up the mound and torch all of them. It does burn the grass but it grows back pretty quick. Very effective and cheap.

I use amdro because it is safer than the alternatives... i think the chickens would have to eat one big giant pile to get sick. Its mostly a corn meal like substance, that's what attracts them, the sweetness. But the poison is activated after they chew it up into a paste for their larvae... then it spreads on their skin as they all walk past each other/bring food back for the larvae/queen. Im sure its not the greatest that they are eating it, but they should be ok. Crossing fingers for the chickens!!
Thank you. I learned something about how it works.

What ever became of this for you? My pullets are not free-range, rather until they're a bit bigger and hardier will be living in their currently enclosed area. However, without thinking about it, I sprinkled Amdro Ant Block all around my property for obvious reasons. Then I thought "what if the birds peck up the ants while they're carrying the poison!?"
😲
Thanks in advance!

What ever became of this for you? My pullets are not free-range, rather until they're a bit bigger and hardier will be living in their currently enclosed area. However, without thinking about it, I sprinkled Amdro Ant Block all around my property for obvious reasons. Then I thought "what if the birds peck up the ants while they're carrying the poison!?"
😲
Thanks in advance!
The ants are dead within minutes of carrying it into the nest... like all of them! So i wouldn't worry about the chickens getting ahold of poisoned ants running around.

Or how about ants actively carrying the poison granules back to the colony?
Thank you for getting back to me, I feel a bit better, also thanks to some more in depth reading I've done on here.
Stories of flocks flying fences and chowing down on large amounts, and so on.

Back
Top Bottom