neighbor's chicken coop too close?

All that property between you and your neighbor and you can see them 30 feet away... priceless!
This is why it is so important to investigate where your going to live and who is living next to you! I'm glad my house is smack in the middle of my property. Think your thoughts through before making a decision.

I would not recomend you start a fuss with your neighbor, have had a neighbor do this to me, broke my daughter's heart to have to get rid of a roo (and mine). She was the only neighbor who had a problem and didn't have the decency to approach me, just called the city on me. She was with in her right, however she has caused extreem ill will. It makes for very hard feelings when you use the law or codes to your own ends. I can promise you there is some old law or code you don't know about that you may be violating. You sound very angry and like maybe you don't like where you live, perhaps you should move to someplace where livestock is prohibited altogether, then you can just keep your dogs on a wire. Neighbors should take care of eachother, one never knows when you will need your neighbor. Before you do anything else, check out the thread Hurricane Advice. Then decide whether you want your neighbor to hate you.

I would not recomend you start a fuss with your neighbor, have had a neighbor do this to me, broke my daughter's heart to have to get rid of a roo (and mine). She was the only neighbor who had a problem and didn't have the decency to approach me, just called the city on me. She was with in her right, however she has caused extreem ill will. It makes for very hard feelings when you use the law or codes to your own ends. I can promise you there is some old law or code you don't know about that you may be violating. You sound very angry and like maybe you don't like where you live, perhaps you should move to someplace where livestock is prohibited altogether, then you can just keep your dogs on a wire. Neighbors should take care of eachother, one never knows when you will need your neighbor. Before you do anything else, check out the thread Hurricane Advice. Then decide whether you want your neighbor to hate you.
Is true that neighbors should take care of each other but what do you do when they place their chicken coop far from them and almost on your door? That is abuse. This happened to me ajeno approached the neighbor and he told me he can do what he wishes on his property. So when people take advantages of others you need to bring in a third party

Honestly they don't have to ask for permission from you as they are on their own property and it sounds like they have checked the codes by advising you how far from the property line is. Have you talked with them and asked them if they consider moving the birds a bit farther away and give your reasons? Don't go with attitude be pleasant about it. Saying your going to raise birds and doing it are two different things. Grain prices are going through the roof so maybe they will wait awhile. And for those of us who raise birds, there is a hell of a lot that it takes to raise birds. Maybe they will try it and not like it.
These people will most likely be neighbors for a long time. Do you really want to start a war over chickens that may or may not even pan out?

This thread is 5 years old, I'm sure the OPs situation has worked out however it was going to.
I will say it seems like everyone who has responded falls into one extreme or the other. There should be room for reasonable compromise between neighbors. Not "keep your silence lest you want to die in a hurricane", or "terrorize the birds with your dogs to punish the owners".
People think when they locate on several acres that they will have some peace, and that's reasonable. It's also normal for animals to make sound and smells in the country.
Asking the neighbor to relocate the coop is a perfectly decent option. If they consistently refuse you could erect a high wall on that side to reduce the sound. Cover it with vines / bushes / trees.

We had a very rude neighbor earlier this year who put his coop right on the other side of the fence from our chicken yard. We both have woods behind and our coops are not close to the fence, but out of all his choices he decided to put his chickens right next to where ours forage.
Obviously, we don't mind chickens. But we did mind the biohazard to our birds. I especially minded when his rooster kept making it over a 6ft chain link fence, but thankfully people here on BYC had warned me of the possibility so we had kept our hens sectioned off.
I told the neighbor to either clip the wings or pen the bird up, he responded by pinioning (not clipping) both wings of that bird!
A few months later they moved away and left the roo behind. I had zero need for a mixed breed rooster so now the landlord is taking care of it 🙄

Back
Top Bottom