Neighbors chicken/ my beautiful yard

Tamira

Hatching
Dec 16, 2020
My neighbors just got a bunch of chickens and Guinnies (sorry, not sure how it is spelled). I haven’t counted, but it looks like prob 15-20 chickens, a rooster and about 10 guinnies. They are allowing them to free range. Recently, they have discovered my ginger plants that are about 7-8’ tall. They get all in the little forest of ginger and scratch away. I’m assuming there are lots of bugs or something there. This is my front yard that has st Augustine grass. Will the chickens end up destroying my lawn and plants? We have 2 acres and they have 4.

I also agree your yard is in danger of becoming a moon scape.

Have a chat with the neighbors to let them know that their birds are trespassing and causing damage.
Make it clear (as politely as possible) that the birds need to be kept off your property.

I am so sorry you are dealing with this.

Responsible stewardship means not allowing animals to wander onto neighboring properties.

Do check into whether your area is a "fence them in" or a "fence them out" place.
If it is a fence them in the neighbor is responsible for installing effective fencing. If it is a fence them out situation it is the landowners responsibility to fence to keep them out.

Have a chat with the neighbors to let them know that their birds are trespassing and causing damage.
Make it clear (as politely as possible) that the birds need to be kept off your property.

Responsible stewardship means not allowing animals to wander onto neighboring properties.

Do check into whether your area is a "fence them in" or a "fence them out" place.
If it is a fence them in the neighbor is responsible for installing effective fencing. If it is a fence them out situation it is the landowners responsibility to fence to keep them out.
:goodpost:

I would tell the neighbor that you use chemicals on the lawn in you yard that may be harmful to the chickens even if you don't . Then tell him or her that you wouldn't eat those eggs
Pete

Both of these a great posts to help along the conversation with the neighbors. And your St. Augustine grass (I betting sod) is going to be TOAST from them digging and the hot nitrogen poop being put on it.

I agree with the consensus here.

Your neighbor who owns the chickens is 100% responsible for keeping her livestock on her own property.

If you've had good relations with your neighbor thus far, try approaching it in a friendly fashion. But if push comes to shove, don't hesitate to get Animal Control involved.

Waiting too long to make a formal complaint after friendly overtures have failed risks the neighbor being able to claim that you hadn't had a problem with the chickens before.

Back
Top Bottom