Neighbor's chickens are freezing to death...it's really bothering me..

honeydoll

Songster
10 Years
Jul 14, 2009
Stark County, NE Ohio
Oh my neighbors, they are great people. Very nice, albeit odd, but so are we in our own way I guess. Their chickens always free range, he has a little coop he built for 8 of them, sufficient I think. But all summer they slept in some trees by our porch, he has three roos and they crow all the time. Well now it's winter and they still sleep in the trees. He said he doesn't know why they won't go to the coop. THey look pitiful. They are cold and wet and miserable, I am surprised they ever survived. But lately I've only seen two of them and they are always crowing like they are calling the rest. Not sure if the others died or not. It is like 10*F tonight. Their combs are black with frostbite, they stand on my porch with one leg up trying to get warm hiding behind a cinder block to get away fromt he wind. I just feel so bad for them. The one roo is so mean he attacks me anytime I go in my yard so I don't dare touch the crazy thing, if he were mine I'd cull him. He is the meanest roo I've ever seen. But this just kills me. He is outside now in my tree by himself with no warmth and is wet. He and the other roo look skinny too. Oh, I hate seeing them like this. I just want to go out there and pick them up and put them in my coop but I can't, that mean roo attacks my girls and rooster all the time as well as my kids. I just don't know what to do. It breaks my heart to see them. Just a pitiful sight and I needed to get it off my chest. I can't stop thinking about them. It's snowing like crazy, windy and very cold. They got rained on and now it's below freezing. I really hate it. And he is sleeping in my tree with the snow and wind blowing all around him, and now now other chickens to keep him warm, he's all alone. Oh listen to me, I sound pathetic. I feels so sorry for them. Does anyone know how I feel, am I just being stupid??
sad.png

Last edited:
thats just wrong, thats animals rights, isnt it? can you turn him in, he could at least try to catch them before dark and pin them up..... call the humane shelter?

Freezer camp would be better. I offered to process them for free but his 10 yr. old vegetarian was so mad about that she threw a fit and they never took me up on it. I've thought about animal rights and all that too Thanks Robin, it's funny I can process my own birds but watching my neighbors birds suffer is killing me.

Last edited:
I am thinking that if they are roosting in the trees he cannot easily get them down to coop them. If he is making a coop available to them, it is not his fault that they are not going inside.

However, I would suggest that you offer to help him catch them to be locked into his coop for about a week or two--long enough for them to realize that that is "home." A tall ladder, a net, and just enough light to find the birds and avoid injury will help you to nab them.

Warm him up in the oven at 350 degrees for about an hour and a half. Serve him up with mashed potatoes, gravy and some of that box stuffing stuff. Oh yeah, don't forget the sweet potatoes.

Rufus

Quote:
I've had the same thought. They are not these horrible people it sounds like. They are good people, great neighbors too. He plowed our driveway for us, which is 150 ft. long, just to be nice to us. Our oldest boy has a brain tumor and has balance issues. So they are not losers and I don't want to imply that, it just really bothers me to see them suffer like this. I don't know why those crazy chickens won't go to their coop, creatures of habit I guess.
idunno.gif

That 10 year old vegetarian sounds like she needs a lesson in animal cruelty. Maybe she doesn't understand that the birds are freezing to death, and that they, as their masters, are guilty of cruelty, and could be fined/jailed? To bad the neighbors allow the child to influence their decision to the detriment of the animals.

Back
Top Bottom