Neighbor's chickens are freezing to death...it's really bothering me..

My heart just goes out to you! What a sad and frustrating situation!

I think this is the right information for your area if you decide to go this route:

Stark County Humane Society

P.O. Box 7077
canton, Ohio 44705
Phone: 330-453-5529
Fax: 330-453-8674
Email: [email protected]

If
you decide to adopt, steal, hijack or otherwise give him better care at your house then bravo for you! Likewise, if you choose to ask the SPCA for their intervention good for you!
None of it is easy but just by caring for Mr. Meanie and wanting him to be better off you are doing the right and kindest thing. I applaud you in every way!
hugs.gif

I so much identify with Honeydoll's situation that I have decided to join this forum! Reading the responding posts has convinced me that there are a bunch of good humans here. Bless you all.

I live between two farms but only have a1/4 acre lot. One neighbor's two dozen or so birds tore my gardens apart last winter. When I saw them eating dog poop, I realized that they were starving, so I bought some scratch feed...can you guess the rest? To keep this short, over the year I have been talking with their owner about the situation. After one hen left orphaned chics here I said I would raise them and return them to the flock-ha!Ha! My neighbor kept bringing me more orphans..now there are only two of the original flock left. Most have been eaten by predators. My hubby said I couldn't take someone else's animals but that someone now calls them my birds! So now there are seven freezing birds living over a creek in willow branches in zero degree weather. It is driving me crazy with concern. There are many barns, sheds, ect available on the properties that surround ours but the birds will not go into them... the broody hens that did were all eaten, so I don't blame them.

I no longer have to worry about relations with my neighbor or ownership of the chickens, but I have no house and it is too cold to be out building one. My husband said he would build a house for them but took his time hoping the situation would "resolve itself". Now that it has "resolved itself" I need (1) a house and (2) a strategy to get the poor silly birds into it!

Shim's mom :

I so much identify with Honeydoll's situation that I have decided to join this forum! Reading the responding posts has convinced me that there are a bunch of good humans here. Bless you all.

I live between two farms but only have a1/4 acre lot. One neighbor's two dozen or so birds tore my gardens apart last winter. When I saw them eating dog poop, I realized that they were starving, so I bought some scratch feed...can you guess the rest? To keep this short, over the year I have been talking with their owner about the situation. After one hen left orphaned chics here I said I would raise them and return them to the flock-ha!Ha! My neighbor kept bringing me more orphans..now there are only two of the original flock left. Most have been eaten by predators. My hubby said I couldn't take someone else's animals but that someone now calls them my birds! So now there are seven freezing birds living over a creek in willow branches in zero degree weather. It is driving me crazy with concern. There are many barns, sheds, ect available on the properties that surround ours but the birds will not go into them... the broody hens that did were all eaten, so I don't blame them.

I no longer have to worry about relations with my neighbor or ownership of the chickens, but I have no house and it is too cold to be out building one. My husband said he would build a house for them but took his time hoping the situation would "resolve itself". Now that it has "resolved itself" I need (1) a house and (2) a strategy to get the poor silly birds into it!

I pm'd you about this!​

After posting here, I managed to lock three of the youngest hens ("the little girls" have no proper names yet) and one rooster (I call him Rhett)(sadly, Scarlet was eaten) in a dog house that I filled with hay. It is big enough for a great dane, so they are fine snuggled together. Another hen (Mama) is setting on a single egg in a cardboard box so I closed it and brought it into my basement. Shim, the junior rooster who may have some frostbite one his comb, is in a dog carrier that I also brought into the basement.

That leaves the last of the original flock, a small white banty rooster, still in the willows. I call him Ozzie (his mate Harriet was eaten- I found her feathers on the ground) and he seems to be the toughest, smartest, and will be the hardest to catch. The area under the willows is deep swamp and none of the branches is strong enough to lean a ladder on, let alone climb. So I will try to lure him into another carrier- I will warm it. stuff it with hay, and put food inside. With a lot of luck I can catch him tomorrow; then he'll be in the basement with Shim and Mama.

This is far from ideal but it will keep everyone safe and warm. The next issue will be a house or some other construction. There has been friction between the three roosters but no bloodshed; just chasing. Since they sleep near one another in the branches, I'm hoping I can get them to roost together.

Thanks, ChooksChick for your suggestions. I need all the ideas I can get and really appreciate your helpfulness!

Shim's mom :

After posting here, I managed to lock three of the youngest hens ("the little girls" have no proper names yet) and one rooster (I call him Rhett)(sadly, Scarlet was eaten) in a dog house that I filled with hay. It is big enough for a great dane, so they are fine snuggled together. Another hen (Mama) is setting on a single egg in a cardboard box so I closed it and brought it into my basement. Shim, the junior rooster who may have some frostbite one his comb, is in a dog carrier that I also brought into the basement.

That leaves the last of the original flock, a small white banty rooster, still in the willows. I call him Ozzie (his mate Harriet was eaten- I found her feathers on the ground) and he seems to be the toughest, smartest, and will be the hardest to catch. The area under the willows is deep swamp and none of the branches is strong enough to lean a ladder on, let alone climb. So I will try to lure him into another carrier- I will warm it. stuff it with hay, and put food inside. With a lot of luck I can catch him tomorrow; then he'll be in the basement with Shim and Mama.

This is far from ideal but it will keep everyone safe and warm. The next issue will be a house or some other construction. There has been friction between the three roosters but no bloodshed; just chasing. Since they sleep near one another in the branches, I'm hoping I can get them to roost together.

Thanks, ChooksChick for your suggestions. I need all the ideas I can get and really appreciate your helpfulness!

Thank you for caring...
hugs.gif

Dora'smom :

That 10 year old vegetarian sounds like she needs a lesson in animal cruelty. Maybe she doesn't understand that the birds are freezing to death, and that they, as their masters, are guilty of cruelty, and could be fined/jailed? To bad the neighbors allow the child to influence their decision to the detriment of the animals.

They have provided shelter--if the birds refuse to go inside, and cannot be handled to MAKE them go inside--this is NOT a case of animal cruelty.​

the roo would be considered a stray... the thing is not penned and i seriously doubt he has bands it is running freely and living in YOUR yard. you can do with him what you will. claim him, eat him, whatever. and nobody can say a word. it can't even be said that you stole him because he is stray and has nothing identifying him as belonging to anyone. another thing, will you feel worse for "stealing" him or letting the poor bird suffer and die in your yard . wish you luck with whatever you choose to do.

I read most of the posts, but there are so many at this point, sorry. I agree with most, you are in a tough situation. But the bird is on your property, eating your food and living in your tree. By default, he is as good as your bird. I’d do with him as you please. What ever that means to you, maybe the same thing happened to him as the other birds.
I also agree with the bio-security issue. Even more than that, I won’t let mean animals in my yard. Not mine, not the neighbors, and not strays. Mess with me or my grandson, you are done. One neighbor has a few less dogs, and I have a few less chickens. Meanness has no place on the farm in my mind.
I have a few hens and the occasional turkey that I have to hunt down and put in the coop at night. Usually they will go by themselves once I make them get off the car/out of the tree/off the roof. We all know how that goes.
I would do “SOMETHING”. Anything, something that makes you feel better and stops the suffering. But that is just me. Good luck to you.

Back
Top Bottom