Neighbors chickens

Very good advice... i just hate to make waves... i know it is their responsibility... I’ll have to put my big girl pants on and have a conversation with them
Tough situation!
How well do you know your neighbors?
Are you an adult?
Did they have chickens first..and was their wandering tolerated previously?

Tough situation!
How well do you know your neighbors?
Are you an adult?
Did they have chickens first..and was their wandering tolerated previously?
So we have only been here one year. They had one chicken that we did tolerate and yes, they lived here first. Now they have 5.
yes, im an adult.

@Chickmom28 Wasn't a nice vegetable plot and herb garden something you always wanted? ;)

So up until now there was no need to keep the neighbours hens away... but now, as you get started with your new kitchen and herb garden they need to stay in the owners yard, of course. Starting next weekend. :D

Last edited:
Also how do I keep them from bothering my girls? They are an interference when I'm calling my girls back to their own coop/run.
They could be regarded a health hazard to your hens as well. You don't know where she bought her hens and if they might even be carriers of nasty germs, parasites (think worm egg infestation of your yard) etc.
Bio security is important for maintaining a healthy flock.

@Chickmom28 Wasn't a nice vegetable plot and herb garden something you always wanted? ;)

So up until now there was no need to keep the neighbours hens away... but now, as you get started with your new kitchen and herb garden they need to stay in the owners yard, of course. Starting next weekend. :D
This was just meant as an example of how to break it to your neighbour in a friendly manner.

Maybe you could let them know that if your chickens were to get sick, theirs would get sick as well because they are with your chickens? If they know why it's dangerous to let their chickens wander, they might keep them on their property.

Biosecurity in this case is a boat missed and leaky since all birds free-range with overlapping ranges. Hen with offspring is coming over in part because you are providing resource she needs, feed most likely. I would make so feed not available to hen and her young.

Then, after a few days looking for a desired change, have discussion with neighbor.

If neighbor not able / willing to confine birds, then confine them yourself on your place and notify authorities of your actions. Either neighbor will make adjustments or be prepared to take more responsibility for neighbors birds. At some point the neighbor could be effectively abandoning their chickens making so you can do as you deem fit.

It is 100% your neighbors' responsibility to fence their chickens onto their own property.

If talking to your neighbor doesn't work and you still have problems then don't hesitate to contact Animal Control. People should not be over-sensitive about potentially offending people who have made it clear that they don't care about offending you. :)

Back
Top Bottom