Neighbor's dog came back for our ducks today! What to do?

Pics
Sounds like you can sue them for more than one thing because the dog bite you, is on YOUR property and destroying it
I likely could, but i am not that kind of neighbour! I dislike attorneys (apologies to all attorneys here in the forum.) and dealing with the judicial system very much. We all make mistakes in our lives and, trust me it is not a good feeling when the ring of a telephone is making you afraid; I have been there and i don't want anyone to experience that.

I likely could, but i am not that kind of neighbour! I dislike attorneys (apologies to all attorneys here in the forum.) and dealing with the judicial system very much. We all make mistakes in our lives and, trust me it is not a good feeling when the ring of a telephone is making you afraid; I have been there and i don't want anyone to experience that.
You sound like a great neighbor! I hope all of this gets resolved soon and you and your ducks can live in harmony.

The laughing reaction is for the picture of that dog stuffing his nose into some electrified cat food!
I have no clue about electric fences and will have to learn quickly: Is it possible to use cedar posts for electric fences? My Idea is to start with a massive cedar-post at the most vulnerable corner of my property and then work my way up the hill towards the wooded area. Installing electric fencing first and later replace it segment by segment with a wattle-fence, made out of material that i can harvest on my own land. So far the longest rolls of poly-wire i have found are 1650', that is about 500 meters for ~100$, still researching…

You can attach electric wire to wooden fence posts. You need what's called 'insulators' (hopefully called the same in the US) which are screwed onto the posts at the correct height/s.

Our dog is very cautious of our electric fencing having wagged her tail too close a couple of times. 🤣 Our electric fencing is to keep livestock in (not her out - she's great with all critters).

Update on Nona Duck: She is doing better today:

Nona came out of the house with the other ducks today and gathered enough courage to eat cat-food directly out of the plastic container - until Blanca Duck shoved her away…
But she still moves around like ol' Grandma and seems to be in pain. She looks like me, when i have overdone gardening and all my muscles feel sour and tense.
Try giving her 1/2 a baby aspirin twice a day to help ease her pain.

If you just enter wattle-fence into the search engine of your choice, you will get a ton of ideas, like: Raised beds, terraces, trellises and and and.
And i should have known about wattle-fences or woven-fences because they were absolutely common in the area of Germany where i grew up! Just to be replaced with the "better" wire chain-link fences later…
I foresee a lot of raised beds on my land this year!
Good gracious yes! All kinds of pictures and how-tos! I don’t even need additional fencing anywhere, but I am determined to build one just because I can. I have the resources, I have the time, and I love the look and the versatility.

I really think I will build one/some in the garden area. And just look at the panels used as a sun shade and/or protection from flying predators! And look how gorgeous!

4C64BEAC-0F70-4AF5-B489-00461A2B1AEC.jpeg

And look at all these different non-fancy examples.
F6C3CDF0-9499-4550-A273-ED677DBC2331.jpeg
27D07B1A-B677-4B38-A4E9-778979B50653.jpeg
D2AF4ECF-2F5D-4311-B9A4-C5275C7AC44B.jpeg

I am in love with this fence and I’m thankful it was mentioned earlier.

The laughing reaction is for the picture of that dog stuffing his nose into some electrified cat food!
I have no clue about electric fences and will have to learn quickly: Is it possible to use cedar posts for electric fences? My Idea is to start with a massive cedar-post at the most vulnerable corner of my property and then work my way up the hill towards the wooded area. Installing electric fencing first and later replace it segment by segment with a wattle-fence, made out of material that i can harvest on my own land. So far the longest rolls of poly-wire i have found are 1650', that is about 500 meters for ~100$, still researching…

Then this might be your best deal - top quality Turbo Wire, 2625ft for $123 and free shipping. You wouldn't have to replace the material with aluminum for a long, long time.

Amazon.com : Gallagher Electric Fence Turbo Wire | 9 Mixed Metal Strands for 40x More Conductivity and Extreme Power | Ideal for Long Portable Fences | UV, Rust Resistant | 3/32" Diameter Turbowire | 2625 Foot : Agricultural Fencing : Garden & Outdoor

To connect your electric fence to cedar posts, you would use something like these, which hold up really well (unless you smack them with your tractor bucket!) and can easily be unscrewed and repositioned later. I'm not identifying these as the best deal- just the basic idea.

Amazon.com: 50 Pcs Black Electric Fence Insulator Screw-in Insulator Fence Ring Post Wood Post Insulator(Grid System Accessories for Animal Husbandry Electronic): Industrial & Scientific

Good gracious yes! All kinds of pictures and how-tos! I don’t even need additional fencing anywhere, but I am determined to build one just because I can. I have the resources, I have the time, and I love the look and the versatility.

I really think I will build one/some in the garden area. And just look at the panels used as a sun shade and/or protection from flying predators! And look how gorgeous!

View attachment 2482697

And look at all these different non-fancy examples.
View attachment 2482698View attachment 2482699View attachment 2482700

I am in love with this fence and I’m thankful it was mentioned earlier.

Those are beautiful!!! We've moved to 10 acres of forested land (pasture pic was our last place) - that's amazing and I've got piles of stuff that would work for this. Amazing!!!

Or roadkill… :(

I had much such a neighbor before we moved. He had a series of awful dogs. The one that would come over multiple times a day to harass our goats- cornered me on my own property - and I heard them mocking me for it with their family - well, it was always crossing a road people regularly gun it to 35-40mph - and it did indeed get hit by a car right by the road. I heard it happen. And I helped bring back the person that hit it. And helped him lift it into a wheelbarrow, where he accused the farm cat of tempting his dog up by the road- nice, yeah?? Naturally, he got an even worse dog after that. I don't miss them.

Back
Top Bottom