Neighbor's dog came back for our ducks today! What to do?

Pics
Too bad that i cannot give you 10 🧡 reactions for your post!
And you are right, electric fence it will be, i found out that if you buy polywire in larger length it becomes much more affordable.
The neighbor's dog was nowhere to be seen or heart today, so i assume the "man in the house" took the incident way more serious than the "Missus" did and the dog will soon be subject to a two week quarantine, which gives me some time to add electric fencing to the most vulnerable parts of the property line first.
In the long term it will replace the electric fence with wattle fences like this:
View attachment 2482586
Those fences don't need to be as tall as in the picture above, because i can always run a charged aluminium wire on top of it… Plus i can harvest almost all the needed material on my own land, except for some Cedar posts. I already have to cut down a lot of young trees (1-3 years old) that have started to grow on my pastures, on the drive-way to my neighbors house, the drive-way to my barn, and pretty much everywhere. It will just be a lot of work to do, but hey i need to loose weight anyways! 😜
And such a wattle fence is much easier to build on steep and uneven grounds!
My idea is to construct massive cedar posts at the edge-points, a vertical post with two load distributing beams? (idunno the correct term for these diagonal struts), have another cedar post every 12meters (40') and use the stems of the 3 year old trees in between. It will take me a couple of years to build this, but that will also increase the value of my property and give us even more privacy here.
If you are looking to save money we use treated garden timbers for posts here on out farm. They work great and are affordable.

For sure there are no leash laws here in the area! It is very rural here, even though it is just 15 minutes to the town center.
I definitely sympathise with your situation. I've dealt with many a bad neighbors and their dogs.
It isn't fun to deal with. And like you said, it's the people at fault here not the dog.
*Not that I would hesitate to shoot it if it comes back after your birds.

Ok i know I'm jumping in here without fully reading the entire thread... but my friend just got his toe amputated after a friendly bite from his own dog (dog grabbed toy that was next to his foot). He "cleaned" it, just like you, but turns out he got that weird dog saliva bacteria, needed antibiotics, but didn't get them until 4 days later.. ended up in the hospital for 3 weeks w a tube of antibiotics going to his heart... during covid hell time, and toe successfully amputated. So this is serious, regardless of the dogs intention. Hope your doing OK by now.
I hope your friend makes a quick recovery and will be able to walk again soon. That was just an accident, like when you cut yourself with a kitchen knife when slicing the onion-rings.
I hope the doggy is fine too?
Yes, i got my first round of antibiotics today - those pills are the size of the »fat-man« bomb and contain three different active ingredients, with one of them causing »Montezuma's revenge« in me. I guess i will sleep in the bathroom tonight…

I hope your friend makes a quick recovery and will be able to walk again soon. That was just an accident, like when you cut yourself with a kitchen knife when slicing the onion-rings.
Yes, i got my first round of antibiotics today - those pills are the size of the »fat-man« bomb and contain three different active ingredients, with one of them causing »Montezuma's revenge« in me. I guess i will sleep in the bathroom tonight…
Good!! Im glad you got the antibiotics.. had he done the same, all that mess wouldn't have happened. He just got a prosthetic that goes in his shoe, he says he's feeling fine and adjusting to the new way to walk/ compensate. The dog is fine, the dog bacteria is natural to dogs and doesn't bother them. Btw.. he then got covid 2 weeks after getting home, after managing to not catch it that while time in the hospital! Poor guy!

I definitely sympathise with your situation. I've dealt with many a bad neighbors and their dogs.
It isn't fun to deal with. And like you said, it's the people at fault here not the dog.
*Not that I would hesitate to shoot it if it comes back after your birds.
You really feel torn apart between protecting your birds and not wanting to kill the dog, right? That's how i feel…

Imodium could help. Sorry for it all. Our "luck" is the same as yours, so I am empathetic to your troubles. 😪

Good!! Im glad you got the antibiotics.. had he done the same, all that mess wouldn't have happened. He just got a prosthetic that goes in his shoe, he says he's feeling fine and adjusting to the new way to walk/ compensate. The dog is fine, the dog bacteria is natural to dogs and doesn't bother them. Btw.. he then got covid 2 weeks after getting home, after managing to not catch it that while time in the hospital! Poor guy!
Your friend might has forgotten one crucial step: Dowsing the wound in - uh - 🌙 alcohol after cleaning it. 😜
He is really attracting bad luck! Hope CV19 wasn't too bad for him? At least he should now be immune, vaccination the hard way…

You really feel torn apart between protecting your birds and not wanting to kill the dog, right? That's how i feel…
We've trapped them from time to time and sent them to the pound. But ya gotta have a pretty large live trap to get a dog to go in. The one we used was borrowed, it was huge.

Your friend might has forgotten one crucial step: Dowsing the wound in - uh - 🌙 alcohol after cleaning it. 😜
He is really attracting bad luck! Hope CV19 wasn't too bad for him? At least he should now be immune, vaccination the hard way…
Actually he did that, plus antibiotic ointment.. but the bacteria hit the bloodstream.. that's why those horse pill sized antibiotics are so important.

As far as covid goes, they tested him throughout his stay, always negative.. he then tested negative twice in the week before Thanksgiving.. then spent the day w his almost 90 yo mom.... then got home from dinner and realized his smell and taste suddenly vanished. Got another test.. positive.. he was doing ok, but then his mom was the next worry! Honestly this year has truly sucked!! 😂 (mom was ok btw). But he was one of five people in my small circle of humans i ever even talk to, who all got it.. everyone else was down and out for weeks, so he was lucky (or not).

Back
Top Bottom