Neighbor's dog killed chickens, willing to compensate

Unclebean

Rest in Peace 1977-2013
9 Years
Jun 10, 2010
Tower City, PA
Today a neighbor's dog got loose and attached our flock. We found two dead hens, three wounded hens and a wounded roo. Two hens are still missing. We spoke with other neighbors who told us whose dog it was. I knocked on their door and they acknowledged their dog was loose. They are willing to compensate us for our chickens. What would you guys suggest in a situation like this? We are sure their dog got a roo last fall too but we can't prove it. Our chickens were all about a year old and we have regular buyers for our eggs. Thanks for your help!

I would ask for the replacement cost how much is it going to cost to buy laying hens in your area around here its around $20-25 a piece. So sorry this happened I hope they are trying to get their dog and keep it locked up from now on.

The same thing happened to us. Two of the neigbor's dogs got out and massacred our flock. We came home to find two alive and one injured, all of the others were dead. We went over there and they said that our chickens had been in their yard-this was definitely not true: our chickens always stay on the complete opposite side of the yard from where those neigbors are. They said they would keep their dogs on a leash until they got a fence. We didn't ask them for compensation but I wish I would have. Our chickens, as I'm sure yours were, are priceless and the least your neighbors can do is pay market value. Since they offered to pay anyways, I would take them up on that and let them know how much they owe you(hens around here go for $15 and roosters $5).

You are entitled to compensation for the replacement cost of the hens, and also their lost production. Replacement cost for a hen here is about $15. Find out what the average number that breed of chicken lays in a year, and then multiply that by the number of productive years those hens had. Figure what that amount of eggs would sell for. For the roo, I would just ask for replacement costs.

Last time I figured it up, for a RIR, your looking at around $120 or so for a young hen.

Lee

You can purchase point of lay birds for 15 to $20. If you raise chicks for replacement it costs 18 to $20 per bird for a hatchery $2.50 chick plus feed to point of laying. Breeder quality would be $25. Unless your replacing a rare or special line of breed the price is $20 to $25 per bird, that's fair.

Sucks to have happened especially if favorite "pet" birds.

Sorry that happened, I would charge them for the cost of the pullets, the cost of raising the pullets and your lost income on eggs sales (if you have any)

So sorry to hear about your loss! Today must've been a bad dog day because the same thing happened to my flock today. I had 15 total and 13 are dead - I found 10 of the bodies and 3 are mia. All I have left is one black east indie duck and one d'uccle hen. I'm so sad, crying all afternoon. The neighbor's boyfriend is in the process of moving in to her house and his dog (a spring spaniel) got out this morning and somehow broke in to my coop...killing the chickens and ducks in the their pen. The owner does feel horrible about it and told me to send him what they are worth/replacement cost. Since there's 13 losses, it sure adds up.

I'm so bummed because I lost all of my Salmon Favorelles that I got off the list here from Texas and the really unique white ducks I just bought about a month ago (pictures posted here). My hens were laying well and now I have nothing. All of my daughter's 4H projects are gone.

I'm asking him to pay anywhere from $10 to $25 each, so it sounds like I'm being reasonable.

RIP little chickens and ducks...

Quote:
This is what I'm thinking. I don't see how you can expect them to buy you a new hen AND replace the potential earnings of the lost hen. Sounds like double dipping to me. The new hen takes over the production lost of the dead hen.

Since prices vary so much from region to region, I'd find out what it will take to replace you birds and charge accordingly. You can tell from the responses there is a range of prices. Check your feed store or craigslist.

Back
Top Bottom