Neighbors dog

I like the trap & release idea. Make a good donation to the humane society where you take the dog. Or just take it away and shoot it. Don't shoot it where they can see that you did it. Leave on side of road somewhere in the next county. Oops, another roaming dog got hit, bummer.
I know a lot of you don't feel you have a choice, but moving to somewhere with no neighbors is cheaper and kinder than the toll of continuing stress and ill-will. I am quite bad-tempered when infringed on by others; its in everyone's best interest that I live far away from other humans that are not on the same sensory page. But is is also our responsibility as chicken-keepers to keep them safe from all predators, dogs being by far and away the worst. If you've done all you can, there's only one thing left to do other than move - SSS.

I want to share my story of a similar nature..................... 1990

I AM the one who DID shoot the neighbors dog. Of course that was after 12 complaints, at least another 12 warnings and then I had, had it! Not only had this dog killed several of my chickens, ducks and almost took down a new foal. The police wouldn't do anything to help me.
So I shot the dam dog. I was told I had killed him. Of course I was a bit confused because it wasn't a kill shot (yes I was that good) I hit him in the hind quarters. An eviction notice later (landlord and owner of mutt were best friends) a 500.00 vet bill and the dog came back to life and was roaming in his yard.
I refused to pay the bill, fought with the landlord to the point of getting ready to shoot him in the hind quarters too! Had to move and to add to the whole frustration had my guns taken by the Sheriffs dept. You guessed it. I was ready to shoot all of them at this point.

Loose lips sink ships, or in your case, loose lips loose guns, a home, and your sanity. lol. On a serious note, I hope people do learn from this example that if they ever do have to shoot an animal, even a wild one, to be dead silent and secretive about it. I'm so new about raising chickens that I don't even have any birds yet. After reading these forums went out and I purchased a Daisy 800 FPS BB gun (I live in a city) and will be installing a $99 Solar electric fence around my small coop.

Does anyone have any thoughts on mace or bear spray for use on dogs in the yard? Helpful or just delaying the invertible?

Last edited:
Our neighbor's dog came by the day after Christmas and killed 10 of my layers. Came back 2 weeks later and killed a couple more. They had been keeping him in, but a friend of the son's came by and let the dog out and he came back in a flash. A couple weeks ago he was let loose again and came right back. This time he was baffled by the chicken wire fence surrounding the flock. He got past the farm gate and chain link because we'd left it open when I left to go to town.

The neighbors told us to go ahead and shoot the dog if he came back. "He's just a dog," said they. They did pay for the chickens, but only after the second incident. My DH had gone to their house upset and their son (22) took the brunt of the anger, and *that's* what upset them. Because, of course, they were just chickens, so why should we be upset. They're 1/4 mile away, and our only neighbors, and this has messed up what was a pretty good relationship.

So yes, fences make good neighbors. We're working on surrounding the house (my husband is now calling it the Compound since it incorporates the mini barn and the in-progress coop - 17 wooded acres is too much to fence) - it protects my chickens and my dogs, as they were getting too protective and rushing passers-by. If I do catch the dog here again, I'm not going to shoot him. I plan to call animal control to come get him and the neighbors can decide if they want to bail him out. I did that with a beagle that kept coming by stealing away my young Aussie and the owner was more upset by that than if I had shot his dog. But i had no more problems with that beagle. Go figure people...

I think the idea of taking the dog to the pound is the best solution . People have a tendency to pay attention when something costs them money out of their pocket. If that doesn't work then take it to a different county. I know it sounds like a lot of hassle but an angry neighbor doesn't do anybody any good.

Find a trapping supply store and buy some skunk essence, catch that mutt and cover it in the skunk smell and send him home. With any luck, like many of us with dogs, he will show up at the door and they will just let him in. Once inside he can spread that stench all over their house. You can only confirm that you saw their mutt tangle with a skunk out front.

Ok....so maybe the above is just my fantasy way of solving a dog that I could not shoot.....but it could happen ya know. I'm a shooter myself. If it's a neighbors dog that live right next to me I might give them one pass, but after that I would shoot them and not say a word.....to the neighbor or anyone else in my house. If it's not a dog I know, I'll shoot first and ask questions later. I just gave the first pass to a dog last week. Six warning shots from the revolver and he was headed home at light speed. Next time I use the rifle and he won't be going home.

I had a dog jump into my goose pen when I was gone one day and kill several birds. If I would have been home at the time I would have shot shoveled and shutup but since I never saw the dog that did it I don't know who to talk to. Now I have a great pyrenees and no dogs or coyotes have been back to visit my birds. A good guard dog is worth a lot!! At least it is to me. Its my job to protect my birds and i do everything I can to do it.

If you don't want to kill the dog (which I can't really blame you for since it's not the dog's fault anyway), then as others have said; document, document, document and complain, complain, complain. Get videos of the dogs coming onto your property and anywhere near your ducks (assuming the ducks are somewhere the dogs can't actually hurt them at the time), and start calling the police and/or animal control EVERY time the dog trespasses. I don't know what the rules are where you're at, but in our area, 3 complaints constitutes a nuisance animal and then the owner starts getting fined. I believe it's three fines and then the animal is confiscated.

I really don't condone trapping and disposing of the animal somewhere. All it takes is one person to see you touch that dog and you're going to be the one in hot water for luring, thieving, who knows what. I'd avoid that one.

Back
Top Bottom