Neighbors dog

You're not taking food out of his kids mouth. He did that himself by being an irresponsible dog owner. He should have taken better care of not letting his dog run loose around the neighborhood.

So the neighbor came by the house and apologized. The conversation went smooth. I explained to him how these were pets, the kids had specifically choose each one online and we had them shipped from out of state. They had named them and raised them from chicks. I proposed he pay $30 per bird, $60 total. He agreed, with a slightly surprised face and promised it wouldn't happen again.

Fast forward a week and half.

No payment received and the word from other neighbors who he apparently complained to was that I was out of my mind asking for $60. When they only cost $5 at most and I was taking food out of his kids mouth.

Soooo....what to do????

The best thing would be to produce a receipt for the original birds. You might also explain to him about bloodlines and the quality of chickens you had compared to the mega-hatchery stock that you see for sale in the farm supply stores. Use his reasoning as an example and ask him how he would feel if he owned a Porsche that you totaled out and offered to replace it with a Volkswagen because it's just a car.

I had over $300 in shipping and birds and my neighbor made good on replacing them. I called the county Sherriff's Department and had them send an officer out to file a report so that if they balked on replacing the chickens, I'd have proof and a witness in court.

Sorry to hear of this. Sounds to me like your neighbor had intended to set things straight, but then balked. So, he knows what is right and took initial steps down the path toward setting things right. Assuming that you want to replace the lost birds, my approach would be to order replacements yourself, and then to bring the neighbor your receipt. In that way, you have current documentation of the cost of replacement.

I wouldn't put 100% stock in hearsay (one neighbor's interpretation of what another neighbor said). While the summary might be accurate, only by being there yourself could you be absolutely sure of the intended meaning of the words. I myself have said things that, were they written down or related by someone else, would seem totally weird outside of context.

P.S. Sometimes kindness works well. Bring them some eggs. He'll feel a little better and you'll feel much better.

Last edited:
I am sorry for your loss, L also lost most of my flock last year to a dog. Of course it was my dog who did the Massacre of 2013. But I do agree that the dog will be back as soon as it is allow out again. I hope everything works out with your neighbor.

Back
Top Bottom