Neighbor's goose attacked yesterday by their dogs - followed by a vent

MamaBelle5

Songster
Jun 23, 2020
Pennsylvania
We were outside enjoying the milder temperatures (50s) yesterday evening. My neighbor's kids were as well. The oldest is 8 and I'm not sure how young the youngest is. They were playing with their dogs (a German Shepard, a chocolate Lab and a little Corgi mix) when all of a sudden there was a massive expanse of wings at the end of their property. I'm not sure if the geese and ducks and chickens were let out or if that one somehow got out, when the German Shepard just tore across the yard against it, followed by the other two.

The boys immediately ran inside the house to get their mom. I ushered my children inside as well, I didn't really want them to see a mangled goose, but my husband stayed out in case she needed help.

She managed to get the dogs off of the goose (I don't know if the poor thing survived or not, but the sounds it was making was absolutely heartbreaking). And then she yelled at the boys for running inside and not helping her.

I have to say, that kind of shocked me. Why would you even want to put your children in between your dogs and your dogs' prey?

I acknowledge that I'm over protective - I didn't let my kids outside unsupervised until my oldest was 11. But the chocolate lab they have actually frightens me, and I'm not afraid of dogs. I have a golden retriever myself. He is aggressive and growls and attempts to tunnel under their fence to get after my kids and our dog. No way would I be putting my kids in between him and his prey, or one of the other two either. Thank you for listening!

That's horrible! I hope that poor goose survived. Is the dog always aggressive?
I hope so too.

The German Shepard is not. He's usually a sweetheart. He'll bark and run when the chocolate Lab gets riled up, but, other than that. I was just outside giving the chickens a little oatmeal snack and the German Shepard was running along the fence line with a ball in his mouth. He's probably a year or so old.

The chocolate Lab is mean. He runs to the fence first thing and starts growling and barking at us every time. My dog (he's only 4 months at this point) is absolutely terrified of him. If we're walking him when the lab comes out, he bolts for the door. He'll stand by the back end of their yard and growl and bark at my kids while they're playing on their swing set too.

It is so bizarre to me because I've never met an aggressive lab before, but he really is. My oldest told me while she was walking Moose (our dog), that it looked like he was getting close to getting under the fence, so I don't let them walk him alone anymore. I'll have to inspect the hole though, I don't think he can get through, he's relatively overweight.

I hope so too.

The German Shepard is not. He's usually a sweetheart. He'll bark and run when the chocolate Lab gets riled up, but, other than that. I was just outside giving the chickens a little oatmeal snack and the German Shepard was running along the fence line with a ball in his mouth. He's probably a year or so old.

The chocolate Lab is mean. He runs to the fence first thing and starts growling and barking at us every time. My dog (he's only 4 months at this point) is absolutely terrified of him. If we're walking him when the lab comes out, he bolts for the door. He'll stand by the back end of their yard and growl and bark at my kids while they're playing on their swing set too.

It is so bizarre to me because I've never met an aggressive lab before, but he really is. My oldest told me while she was walking Moose (our dog), that it looked like he was getting close to getting under the fence, so I don't let them walk him alone anymore. I'll have to inspect the hole though, I don't think he can get through, he's relatively overweight.
That's so weird! I've met a lot of labs, but never a mean one.

How did this finally resolve? The 'across the road' neighbor had a Chesapeake Bay Retriever/Pit cross rescue dog. He'd come across the road and challenge me and our dog on my property. I told the neighbor that the day he bit me or my dog he would be a dead dog. We discussed Invisible Fence, and he installed this - problem alleviated. Large aggressive dogs and kids are a dangerous combination.

How did this finally resolve? The 'across the road' neighbor had a Chesapeake Bay Retriever/Pit cross rescue dog. He'd come across the road and challenge me and our dog on my property. I told the neighbor that the day he bit me or my dog he would be a dead dog. We discussed Invisible Fence, and he installed this - problem alleviated. Large aggressive dogs and kids are a dangerous combination.
It hasn't resolved yet. It needs to, but I'm unsure what to do. The hole under the fence is not big enough for the dog to get under, that much I know. We are going to fill it in with some stones when we till them up in our garden.

Back
Top Bottom