Neighbors have 3 roosters...not permitted to.

erin09

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 15, 2009
We have permission from our borough manager to keep chickens in town as long as we don't have roosters.

Well, my neighbors have 3 roos.(in with only 2 hens, yikes) They started crowing this morning, I have heard them practicing over the last week but this was the first full blown cock-a-doodle-doo!

I am worried they are going to ruin it for the rest of hen-only chicken people.

They are friends and I don't want to offend them, but they really need to get rid of their roosters.

How would you approach them, if at all?

Please don't come at them with both barrels about how they are gonna RUIN IT FOR EVERYONE!!!
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif

I would definitely approach them. It would be friendly, "Wow, I heard them. Yikes
wink.png
. Whatcha gonna do, friend?" Suggest Craigslist & keep it lighthearted.

Three roosters in with 2 hens.
th.gif
I have 3 roos in with 24 hens & some of the hens are roughed up. But that is entirely beside the point. Your neighbors might ruin it for all. If they balk at your super-friendly advice, you might state (calmly) that you are afraid they will get in trouble. Because they ARE the ones that will get cited first.

Oh I won't! I don't think I even have "both barrels" capabilities! LOL

We live in a very small town and I know the borough manager personally. I also know that if the right person complains we will lose all chicken rights:(

I want to encourage our neighbors to deal with their roosters without offending them, thats all.

I will suggest craigslist, thanks!

Your neighbors are probably Rooster lovers like me. I would suggest maybe they keep their Roos up at night, so they won't be heard at night, so no neighbors complain, if they are already putting their Roos up at night and they cannot be heard, and no one else is complaining. I would leave them with their secret.

I hope you get this before you talk to them.
Perhaps you should approach them and say..... "I heard your roosters crowing this morning. Aren't you worried about the ordinance? "
They might say.....yes/no.
You say, "what if someone complains? I perosnally don't mind and would like to be able to have a rooster myself. I'm just to afraid, if someone complains I'll have to get rid of my chickens altogether".
What ever they reply you just let it drop and walk away, with,
"I hope your right".

Cause if I have to get rid of my birds your dead meat!
Ok skip that last part.
lol.png

The one thing I haven't seen anywhere in this discussion is mention of an ordinance--all I've seen is "permission of the borough manager." Law is required to be written and passed by a governing body--it is not something that an individual, even an elected one, can make up at whim.

If there is not an ordinance either specifically allowing hens, but not roosters, or banning chickens altogether, then the neighbor is legally entitled to his roosters, and you are not in danger of having your ability to keep your hens revoked.

Quote:
All I know is that I asked permission and was told I could have hens but no roos. I assume what the borough manager was telling me is in line with the ordinance.

thank you for all the suggestions. My neighbors actually brought it up to me before I said anything to them. They will be re-homing the roos this weekend:)

And yes, I absolutley wish I could have a rooster!

Back
Top Bottom