Neighbors, Neighbors...should i listen to them for once??

No, there not dumb...I guess they just like the house,and don't want it ruined.
The building is wood, not plastic.
Heres a pic:
2518844126_9a33d18735.jpg

2518024913_a73bd15698.jpg

mnm
cool.png

To me that would make an IDEAL chicken coop if kept clean and well appointed! It even looks tall enough and everything. Just let the neighbors read this forum. They can come over and help to clean it out once a week if they are really concerned.
wink.png

PS They may also be just a little jealous and don't want your coop to top the little things they are going to be making.

Last edited:
What an adorable coop you will have! Atleast you are giving the playhouse a new purpose since all the kids are too big instead of just letting is sit there going to waste.

Stick with your plan...it's a good one!
smile.png

I converted my kids old tree house to a coup and have never had a problem with the smell, love my chickens but I could convert back if I needed, it is wooden also, I only use DE and pine shavings and have had no smell as yet.

It's PERFECT! it will be so cute. Have at it and enjoy your chickens. Be sure to spend time watching them, they are so funny. Don't worry about the neigbors just do what they've said about freshening up the litter and you will be fine. Mine do great

Give them the benefit of the doubt...they're newbies just like so many of us are...It can always be cleaned out...just like you would have done when you had your kids use it, even with regular soap and water or the slaked lime as people suggested. If they want to help you...smile and take their offers of help...and remember to say thank you! If they have chickens too...they can't complain about yours!
jumpy.gif

I just want to say how fortunate you are to have those neighbors!! So many people here complain because their neighbors don't want them to have chickens or whatever and you have neighbors wanting you to have chickens and offering ideas on helping you to get started.

I agree that it would be a perfect chicken coop. Tell your neighbors how much you appreciate their ideas and suggestions but you've seen some of the most adorable playhouses made into chicken houses and you've decided to do the same. They may end up making theirs to look like a playhouse too. It could happen!
smile.png

Do help your neighbors with their coops if you can - keep those friendly, helpful neighbors friendly and helpful!

I think you have the perfect start on your dream coop! Your idea of recycling an old playhouse is commendable, and should be applauded, not criticized!

Many here have used old playhouses and fashioned them into amazing coops! Any kind of coop can be a stinky coop!

Introduce your neighbors to BYC and proceed with your plans!

That coop is awesome! I thought you were talking about one of those crummy plastic things...

And someone said you were blessed to have such sympathetic neighbors. I agree, you are.

I don't agree that chickens have to be a stinking cesspool of ammonia and other horrid health risks. That implies some serious failings on the part of the keeper. Be clean, dry and neat with chickens, and you'll be rid of nearly all of your problems.

Remember the 5 Rules...

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom