Neighbor's rooster trying to claim my flock

Tough situation.
Only thing you can really do is keep your birds fenced in well enough that the neighboring birds can't fly into the fencing.
That's already done. I'd like them to get out and roam supervised in my yard for a few hours a day. But I'm not sure how that's going to happen with Lover Boy around.

My husband didn't want the ladies tearing up his precious lawn🤣so we built a fenced "chicken yard" that is connected to the run, there is a door that can be closed if it needs a little rest which hasn't happened yet. Maybe you could do something like that 🤷 I also live in a tiny rural town, and my neighbor behind me let's her chickens free range all over along with her 8 roos, but the most they can do is dance by the fence, then they leave defeated 🤣

Sounds like your neighbor doesn't want to cooperate. You might want to consider electrified poultry netting. I'm very happy with Premier1 PoultryNet. I highly recommend spending extra for the "premium" with closer posts that are driveable.

I keep my chickens on mobile pasture so a plug in charger is not an option for me. I have been happy with both solar and DC chargers with an RV battery. DH built a nice little platform that I'd be glad to snap a pic of if you think it would help.
I would be very interested in seeing your mobile pasture. I have 6-7 week olds (10 in all That I have had since they were a few days to about one week old. I don’t know if I have a rooster yet and do not plan to keep a rooster. I want an all girl flock. I am wondering how and when to let them start getting out of their run because they are already wanting to go out when I open their run door. I really want them to have my full 5 acres to free range on. Of course they are not old enough to lay eggs yet so that may be an issue when the time comes and they have been free ranging Since I want them to lay in their hen house. This is an all new flock and my first chickens.
I like the idea of that mobile pasture in case my local predators become a problem.

I would be very interested in seeing your mobile pasture. I have 6-7 week olds (10 in all That I have had since they were a few days to about one week old. I don’t know if I have a rooster yet and do not plan to keep a rooster. I want an all girl flock. I am wondering how and when to let them start getting out of their run because they are already wanting to go out when I open their run door. I really want them to have my full 5 acres to free range on. Of course they are not old enough to lay eggs yet so that may be an issue when the time comes and they have been free ranging Since I want them to lay in their hen house. This is an all new flock and my first chickens.
I like the idea of that mobile pasture in case my local predators become a problem.
Oh man, you asked for pictures. I'm a little embarrassed at the state of my coops TBH. These came with the (now adult) chickens last summer and I'm sad/frustrated it's taken so long to make more space. The chick's coop roof isn't up to par so we have some plastic over it. The new coop is under construction, and will be much easier to handle moving thanks to a small tractor.

20220626_124156.jpg

20220626_124219.jpg

20220626_124238.jpg

We use Premier1's solar charger (to the left in photo 1). I bought deer netting from Lowe's to attach to the netting with zip ties when I added chicks. It sags a bit, but the darn thing sags anyway on my steep yard. I've had a few escapees, and did last year as well before the Columbian Rocks started laying. It seems like they stop trying once they get a little bigger, but YMMV. Generally they pace the fence line trying to get back in and it's not a big deal to herd them toward the "door."

The middle coop (we call it the cluck wagon) is the easiest to move by far. I've tried to achieve a balance of not taking all day to rotate, and having lots of hiding places and shade.

Chicks were brooded outdoors under a heating pad. Heating pad was removed at around 6 weeks. I slowly introduced them to the run over the course of a week or so. After they'd been coming and going as they pleased, I set them up right next to the adults for another week. Any treats were fed simultaneously at the fence line. They integrated very well, some pecking but the chicks learn quickly.

The chickens are moving through the "yard" portion of my property now. It's a little shadier and thinner, most of it was scrubby weeds at the edge of the woods before taking the DR mower to it. In healthier parts of the yard I like to move them weekly. I did happen to snap a photo of 2 weeks in the poorer area last time we moved them:
20220619_085337.jpg

The rear of that photo is the portion of yard that we've started managing like pasture. DH is mowing on a rotation to keep some flowers and seeds out there. We'll keep everyone cooped in the morning, move the fence, move all of the stuff, and let 'em go. Then mow and spread seed, making sure they have no access to coated seed for a couple weeks.

They enjoyed wintering in my garden where I sowed a cover crop of tillage radish, ryegrass, and austrian peas. They didn't do a great job destroying the roots of perennial weeds though.

If you're able to free range, it's going to be a heck of a lot less work. I want to let my chickens have access to fresh greens as much as possible. I also have more areas to fence them out than I would fencing them in. Between that and predator pressure (racoons, yotes, skunks, bobcats, and bears have been seen on the property) this is a solution I'm happy with for now. That said, I am almost always home and probably a little more willing than most to go through inconvenience and hard work to save money.

I think your chicks are old enough to start getting on some grass. They likely won't wander far at this age, but predator protection is a good idea.

Oh man, you asked for pictures. I'm a little embarrassed at the state of my coops TBH. These came with the (now adult) chickens last summer and I'm sad/frustrated it's taken so long to make more space. The chick's coop roof isn't up to par so we have some plastic over it. The new coop is under construction, and will be much easier to handle moving thanks to a small tractor.

View attachment 3164021
View attachment 3164024
View attachment 3164026
We use Premier1's solar charger (to the left in photo 1). I bought deer netting from Lowe's to attach to the netting with zip ties when I added chicks. It sags a bit, but the darn thing sags anyway on my steep yard. I've had a few escapees, and did last year as well before the Columbian Rocks started laying. It seems like they stop trying once they get a little bigger, but YMMV. Generally they pace the fence line trying to get back in and it's not a big deal to herd them toward the "door."

The middle coop (we call it the cluck wagon) is the easiest to move by far. I've tried to achieve a balance of not taking all day to rotate, and having lots of hiding places and shade.

Chicks were brooded outdoors under a heating pad. Heating pad was removed at around 6 weeks. I slowly introduced them to the run over the course of a week or so. After they'd been coming and going as they pleased, I set them up right next to the adults for another week. Any treats were fed simultaneously at the fence line. They integrated very well, some pecking but the chicks learn quickly.

The chickens are moving through the "yard" portion of my property now. It's a little shadier and thinner, most of it was scrubby weeds at the edge of the woods before taking the DR mower to it. In healthier parts of the yard I like to move them weekly. I did happen to snap a photo of 2 weeks in the poorer area last time we moved them:
View attachment 3164029

The rear of that photo is the portion of yard that we've started managing like pasture. DH is mowing on a rotation to keep some flowers and seeds out there. We'll keep everyone cooped in the morning, move the fence, move all of the stuff, and let 'em go. Then mow and spread seed, making sure they have no access to coated seed for a couple weeks.

They enjoyed wintering in my garden where I sowed a cover crop of tillage radish, ryegrass, and austrian peas. They didn't do a great job destroying the roots of perennial weeds though.

If you're able to free range, it's going to be a heck of a lot less work. I want to let my chickens have access to fresh greens as much as possible. I also have more areas to fence them out than I would fencing them in. Between that and predator pressure (racoons, yotes, skunks, bobcats, and bears have been seen on the property) this is a solution I'm happy with for now. That said, I am almost always home and probably a little more willing than most to go through inconvenience and hard work to save money.

I think your chicks are old enough to start getting on some grass. They likely won't wander far at this age, but predator protection is a good idea.
Wow! You have a beautiful piece of property. Thanks for the pics and information.

Back
Top Bottom