neighbors

tiki244

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Jan 1, 2008
WestCentralWisconsin
I had a conversation with a neighbor stating that people arounfd the area have said that once you have chickens a certain amount of time passes and then a smell developes and once the smell developes then it stays for years and years. Is this true? How do urban people control the chicken smell? I havent noticed it.

I am in a close urban setting and we all have quadruple lots +++++. But, I just found out that supposedly the whole neighborhood has been trying to get me to move out. I have lived here 10 years. Some of these other people have not lived here near that long. I would move if I could, and will when I can. In the meantime,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Is this a Myth or the Truth? Any ideas for Urban Chicken cleanliness. woulsd be greatly appreciated. O by the way nobody has smelled anything and I have had chickens for 2-3 years. I dont smell anything?!!!!

Needless to say I am very upset. Just finding out all these people talking behind my back trying to get me moved out somehow.

Thanks

Last edited:
Seriously??? Be careful of your source. Never knwo when the ugly green monster might be rearing its head....I would ask people there opinions to their faces. You dont need to go anywhere.

I think you can control the smell if you have a small number of chickens. I scoop out my whole coop yearly and replace the dirt.

So, what do you want to know: How to get people to quit talking behind your back or how to get rid of a smell that you can't smell?
smile.png

(I love my chicks more than any neighbor!)
D.

This is my first year with chickens, but I tried to prepare for any nightmare scenario. I tidy the coop every other day, I dust with DE, toss lime on the compost pile, and have 25 pounds of stall-dri on hand just in case.
wink.png

It sounds like your neighbors need a life.
smack.gif
Don't let them worry you.

It's your house, and if it's legal to keep chickens, do it. If the neighbors complain to police about the smell, the police have to be able to smell it or they won't do anything. Maybe you could ask a friend to come over and see if they notice a smell.

Read up on the "deep litter method" that people on BYC talk about. It's supposed to keep the smell down.

I hate neighbors.:mad:

Hi. How many feathered friends do you have? I only have 2 right now so what I am about to say is easy with so few, but I depoop daily - the run and the coop. There is not one poop in either place when they go to bed at night. I'm in a residential neighborhood with other people pretty close and I'm trying really hard to make sure they will have nothing to complain about. Another reason I depoop so much is because if I don't, inevitably I step in it! And then it gets carried on my shoe here, there and everywhere. Ugh. In all honesty, even though there's only 2, there is an amazing amount of poop daily and if I didn't pooper scoop, we'd all be walking in it - me and them!

Good luck - I hope the rumor you heard is just that - only a rumor.

JJ

Quote:
lau.gif
thats funny BayCityBabe

tiffanyh what do you do with the old stuff? Garbage? or Compost?

happyhen yeah nobdy "smelled" anything until they heard the ROOSTER, but HE is GONE (big mistake on my part getting a roo)

robinaggie and jjthink unfortunately it is NOT legal for me to keep chickens where I am, although if I lived across the street it would be legal. Alot is if there are no complaints then nothing happens. I am kicking myself now for getting the roo. I just took some compost and put on my garden and smooshed it right in my face practically and I didnt smell anything. I have about 20 bantams but most are babys and as soon as they are 4 months they will be blood tested and sold.

I was just hoping to keep a select few hens, but as it stands now I am very worried. Upset. I know I know Bad Me Right? It was wrong for me to try to break the rules right?

Well I am a long term renter and dont own my house. I am treated like I own it by my landlord because I can do whatever i want as long as I keep it up and pay the rent. They said that. But if someone was to call and complain about the chickens I dont think thsat would go over. But we are in the middle of the woods, Not city across the street, wolves, bears, coyotes, fischers, fox all live around here and come in the yards. Deer It is not like we live in the city "really"

O i am sorry i am just so upset I dont know what to do. I feel so trapped , I have been looking for a place but just havent found anything yet.

People and their stupid ideas! Next thing they will come up with a Avian Flu Scare.

Kris,
There are lots of us on this forum who are keeping chickens illegally
smile.png
and are nervous....

I would ignore the comment by your neighbor. If your landlord is satisfied with you as a renter, then you're fine.

Your stated that if you lived across the street, your chickens would be legal; that's interesting. How large is your lot, and how large are the lots on the other side?
I would begin now to search the internet for cities that allow chickens. Keep a list, and add to it. There are quite a few sites that list the requirements for keeping chickens in their cities. It would be wise to begin a search for all the reasons that your hens should be allowed a variance (or the city's ordinance regarding chickens should be changed) just in case you are called to speak with the town council.

And removing most of the chickens is probably a good idea. Sometimes too many animals of any type make people nervous.
Be friendly to your neighbors; offer then free eggs, etc. Get to know them and their children.

You'll do fine.
wink.png

Carla

Thank You Carla , I feel a little better now, funny thing is the one neighbor didnt know I had chickens for two years because of all the noise coming from their yard, but this year her child is older and no longer stays at home. :| Which I had to suffer through years of that while working graveyard.

Anyway no more whining. I will try your suggestions. I would definitely like to move to new place. The down payment is a real kicker, better start saving up for that. I was going to build a six foot fence but may just use the money for down payment.

Thanks everyone for your kind suggestions

Hi there,
I haven't seen any mention about Sweet PDZ or DE
Both are great for keeping smells down to pretty near nothing. I use the deep litter and sprinkle the DE on top and then turn it in and sprinkle more on the top since it is good for the chicks. The Sweet PDZ I use also just because. I am not shy when I sprinkle either! I throw it around like candy at a parade!!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom