Neighbours dog keeps breaking into our yard-what do?

Nay, I say, here in THE SOUTH, we use something a bit more effective.......
wink.png

Many folks don't know it, but if all your wires are energized, and the weather has been very dry, there is little grounding, except at night when there's dew on the ground. If you have 3 wires, leave the middle one un-energized, and ground it well. This way, the critter gets shocked as he passes between the strands. If he goes under the bottom one, well, you just have to hope for grounding to the ground. If you have more than 3 wires, just leave the second ground the second from

5 ground rods in constant moist ground plus 2 more on the fence line run to ground wires. backup generator. wet or dry nothing gets through my fence without getting lit up :D

Easy way to solve this problem:

Make you chickens a run attached to the shed.

End of story!

No need to be shooting dogs, neighbours locking them in sheds, putting up electric fencing etc etc.

Just make one secure run. You can still let you birds out when you are there to watch them. The run will protect the chickens from foxes, dogs, hawks and lot of other potential predators.

If the dog comes back call the pound and don't call the neighbours.

I feel sorry for you chickens, but also the dog - sounds like its got really bad owners.

Chicken tractor would make it moveable... if you wanted the benefits of free ranging.

I think you have been far too lenient. You've let the dog kill your chickens and you bring the dog back. The people need to be held accountable for their actions. Part of that is asking for replacement because they have gotten off scott free, therefore they think you don't care. Now is the time to be making police reports or reporting to a pound and ask for replacement for your loss. Sorry to say but money talks.

I don't want to sound heartless but when I come here and continue to read over and over how these peeps keep getting their flock killed by free ranging them! It is pretty simple solution to me! STOP FREE RANGING! It just isn't worth the heart ache to me! I had to lose 2 flocks before I learned my lesson! Because I would be waiting for the day your chickens wandered over to my yard! My dogs would be eating good that night! Because in your neighbors eyes those are JUST chickens!

I don't want to sound heartless but when I come here and continue to read over and over how these peeps keep getting their flock killed by free ranging them! It is pretty simple solution to me! STOP FREE RANGING! It just isn't worth the heart ache to me! I had to lose 2 flocks before I learned my lesson! Because I would be waiting for the day your chickens wandered over to my yard! My dogs would be eating good that night! Because in your neighbors eyes those are JUST chickens!
I didn't read the thread just this post. This is a valid answer!! I only let my chickens out for 4 or five hours a day. Every afternoon I spend countless hours feeding & watering my 6 pens.During this time the chickens are ranging I have a shotgun in my golfcart loaded. One mistake a predator makes I will shoot. Birds need their exercise some green grass, & a few bugs before they roost for the night. It makes for better eggs JMO. I too don't want to loose my chickens not even one if I can help it. I hatch them feed them for 6 months until I recieve my first egg. I can't afford to loose them. I think its entirely up to you on the chose you make & how you raise your birds. I think everybody has a different technique. I'm trying to raise mine not organic but chemical free. I've never wormed them but came close. I treat them with natural homemade remedies.

Hey Halo, Two things, If your place is not properly fenced then you should not be freeranging anything.
You have to be a little responsible for you and yours.
2nd thing......Predator comes onto you property, KILL IT.

Cheers........The Dog

GIVE BLOOD.....tease my Boerboel.

Back
Top Bottom