Nene geese?

chamoisee

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 28, 2011
Is it possible to find a source of Nene geese (a legal source)? I think these are just the cutest, most appealing birds I have ever seen. Is it possible to breed them in order to generate more birds to increase the native population on the Islands?

Yes It is possible to legally obtain Nene,s . Yes they are a protected species. Wether you need a permit or not depends on where you live. If you get the birds inside the same state you live no permit is needed that I am aware of. At this time Hawaii doesnt want anymore. They are flourishing well now in many private collections. There are several people here in florida that raise them. They are very very nice as geese go in temperment even during breeding season. How easy it is for you to get them depends on what state you are in. Good luck in your quest.

Quote:
Rose-comb Ryan has Nene geese I'm pretty sure, and he could probably give you some ideas on where to get them.

Yes he does, They are great birds. My oldest pair was 2 this last year and layed THIRTEEN eggs! The first 12 were all infertile but for some reason she layed ONE egg in the middle of her pen and it was fertile. It didnt make any sense to me.. But we shall see what next year brings...

Back
Top Bottom