Nervous about leaving vents open

Akennedy

Songster
Jun 1, 2020
My 4 chicks are 10 weeks old. I only just got them this week...I’ve been so nervous about leaving their vents open. I know it’s safe to do so because we used hardware cloth on all openings and it is very secure. But I just keep worrying that it’s too windy... or predators will find a way in.... I know sooner or later it’s going to be be so warm at night that I’ll have no choice... but is it ok to hold out a little while longer until they’re a few weeks older!? Lol

If it is covered with hardware cloth I would uninstall the vents, just seems like a failure waiting to happen and ending up with sick, frostbitten, or dead chickens. Hardware cloth windows, they will be fine. I keep day old chicks outside with a heat pad (no lamp) in nights with lows in the 20s. You didn't go to effort of hardware cloth for nothing! I currently have chicks of 3 days old and chicks of 5 weeks old in wide open window (hardware cloth) setup.

I always leave ventilation open, because I worry about everything that comes with closing them and then not having adequate ventilation. In my small amount of experience, I feel like the more ventilation, the better, especially with fully feathered birds. I guess it really depends on your location and set up though. Best wishes to you and your flock.

Edited to add that I'm in NC and we have mild winters and HOT summers.

I always leave ventilation open, because I worry about everything that comes with closing them and then not having adequate ventilation. In my small amount of experience, I feel like the more ventilation, the better, especially with fully feathered birds. I guess it really depends on your location and set up though. Best wishes to you and your flock.

Edited to add that I'm in NC and we have mild winters and HOT summers.
I’m in Ohio... so we do get rather hot at times but cold also!

Back
Top Bottom