Nervous Ducks

GeneJordan

Songster
8 Years
Feb 6, 2011
Arnaudville, La
Is it me, or are ducklings real jittery?

Over a week of handling and petting, they barely stay still in our hands. They are very cute though...

199125_10150105802666828_638531827_6993008_4760926_n.jpg

Last edited:
Give it a few weeks. Mine LOVED being held, and petted ever since I got them. But some ducklings are different. Maybe a week or two, and they will warm up to you!
smile.png

They sure are cute.
I agree, after a few weeks, I could take mine out in the yard and sit down with them and they would climb all over me.
love.gif

be careful what you wish for. i've heard that if they imprint too strongly they can be a real pain,(tripping, stumbling, throw out your back, pull a groin) you know, that sort of mayhem!!! !!! ENJOY !!!

I got 2 ducklings from the same breeder...little old man who didn't know what breed he was giving me cuz I'm pretty sure they are not the same breed. Anyway after a week of holding, petting, talking too and swimming in the bathtub they are wild and jumpy as ever. I love them lots but what else can I do to tame them?

Some ducklings are just a bit skittery. However, my experience with ten runners is that some would cuddle, some would hang back. I kept up with singing, sitting near them, moving slowly, staying as low as possible (thanks, dfo) because especially after about two weeks of age, they became TERRIFIED of anything taller than they are. After a week of age, we began giving them just a few peas (thawed frozen). Wow, they love peas! Peas helped us forge some serious bonds. Even the one duck (Elf) who won't eat out of my hand will let me pet her and pick her up. About six of them are happy to be petted. None really loves being picked up. But when I sit with them, about half of them will noodle around me, checking out trouser cuffs and pockets. Neun will actually sit right up against me and doze off. They follow me around and stick pretty close. They call out to me when they hear my voice (makes phone conversations interesting).

I am waiting for Runner ducklings as we speak...set to hatch in about 2 weeks. I want them to like me you know. I don't expect them to be like the chickens who will sit on my lap and be very friendly but I feel bad that they run from me like I'm carrying a butcher knife. I'm gonna post some pics to see if anyone can help me tell what they are. Their beaks are marbled looking orange and black and one is more grey/brown with dark legs. Idk what I've got but I do love them!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom