Nervous - Will it hurt to move her???

mommto3kiddos

Songster
8 Years
Mar 9, 2011
My banty hen is on day 13 of her "sit-in" on her eggs. Our temps have been 60's lows at night highs in 70/80's.. But tomorrow we have a huge cold front moving in with Highs in 40/50's and lows at night kissing 32..

She is a little thing with 7 eggs to keep warm. Will it hurt anything if I move her into our garage just so shes more enclosed from the cold & dampness??? Her nursery pen is great, and she would stay dry, but I have no way to put a heat lamp in it right now, and I don't want her or the eggos to get too cold..

Thoughts??

I dont think it would work to well, i tried, and the hen just freaked out and didnt sit on them at all. If you can, maybe put a heating pad by her to keep her just warn enough. Hope i could help
smile.png
good luck!

Was 55 degrees last night when I snapped this photo of my broody Golden Comet...I think you'll be fine.

83561_dscf1789.jpg

In my experience it really depends on the temperment of your broody. I have one bantam hen who is just totally wild (aquired as an adult) and I would not attempt to move her. However, my other broodies would not be a problem, I can and have moved them and their eggs to a safer place. How long is the cold weather supposed to last? If it is a short period and the hen is protected somewhat from the weather she should be fine where she is now. Chickens are really quite tough, I had a tiny little hen show up in late October a couple years ago with seven or eight chicks (it had been freezing at night for a couple weeks). I thought a predator had made off with her, but she was just hiding from me
idunno.gif

I tried to move my banty hen around that time and she had a hissy fit but i tried again the next day when it was getting close to roost time and it worked a lot better she still had a small fit when she woke up and was enclosed but after 10 minutes or so she calmed down and got back on her eggs and settled in.

I think it depends on the broody herself and her temperment. I had to move my girls who's currently on eggs last friday after the mean pullet decided to keep pecking her off her nest. So I put her near the broody who's chicks hatched last week. That wasn't best. This girl tried enticing the babies away. So since it was supposed to freeze, I brought her and her eggs inside.

No fussing from any move. She's a determined silkie. She sees an egg, she has to sit on it. She in my living room in my brooder box happy as can be. She has food and water and I take her outside and make her walk and go poo a few times a day.

OP, I feel for you. I'm in the same boat. I didn't plan on a BO going broody at this time of year and well, it is what it is. She found her own little niche and had all the other hens conspire to fill the nest for her. She objects to an audience; but won't leave the eggs either.

I'm afraid to move her as she may abandon the eggs.

This is my thought. Her body temp will stay the same , so the eggs will stay the same. Both at correct temperatures. Keep plenty of food on hand as caloric needs increase during cold weather. Keep the drinking water nearby too.

I'm finding this all a bit stressful.
smile.png

I think she will be fine without any supplemental heat. The question is will YOU be fine without giving her supplemental heat? Nature knows best. Her eggs act like little heat sinks and will keep her warm as she keeps them warm. The only thing that will be cold is her outermost feathers. They will feel cold to the touch. Wiggle your finger into the down against her skin and you will feel her little internal heater at full blast. Good luck with choosing whatever is best for you and her.
love.gif

She is a very easy going DETERMINED hen..lol I don't think she would be upset with a move persay, I mean I go out and check on her and pet her everyday.. She is sitting on 7 full-size eggs, not banty eggs. I would move her entire enclosure into the garage, not just her nest.

Im just worried she will get cold. I keep going back and forth leave her or move her..lol I guess I should just let nature run its course huh..
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom