Nervous Wreck.

Vickers58

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 22, 2013
Dallas, tx
our neighbors decided to start cutting down a tree without any notice. The tree is massive and is directly above our coop, run, compost pile, car port and garden. the landlord is known for using companies on the cheap so I am panicked that these guys are going to send a gigantic branch tumbling down onto my flock! Not to mention I have been frantically trying to get our yard ready for a Coop Tour being held next weekend. Ugh Ugh Ugh!!

Ducks are in the coop and tarps set up over the aviary... but I am sitting here glued to our security camera waiting for the tree guys to start sawing! they did a few branches yesterday and terrified my guys. such a pit in my stomach.

here is the tree that is being cut down and all that it covers... luckily its NOT the tree in our run.

our neighbors decided to start cutting down a tree without any notice. The tree is massive and is directly above our coop, run, compost pile, car port and garden. the landlord is known for using companies on the cheap so I am panicked that these guys are going to send a gigantic branch tumbling down onto my flock! Not to mention I have been frantically trying to get our yard ready for a Coop Tour being held next weekend. Ugh Ugh Ugh!!

Ducks are in the coop and tarps set up over the aviary... but I am sitting here glued to our security camera waiting for the tree guys to start sawing! they did a few branches yesterday and terrified my guys. such a pit in my stomach.

here is the tree that is being cut down and all that it covers... luckily its NOT the tree in our run.

Boy i can understand your nervousness, have you been to talk to them ? at least let them know your watching and don't want any of it in your yard that may injure your ducks. what a lot of work you have put into this and the safety of your birds comes first.

i came home to the guys estimating the project... and they went ahead and decided to take a few thousand branches off. They were all over the metal rabbit wire aviary. It was bending inward. The ducks were under the deck terrified and branches, wood shavings, and hunks of bark rained down around them.

My husband called the owner and told her what was going on and why we were a bit upset. She just told him that she has a 2 million dollar insurance policy and not to be worried. That is not the point! you can't replace the life of a duck that is killed by a branch crushing its body!

i made sure that all of the guys understood what we had below the tree as best i could. I had to hold one of them up in the air because they had no idea what i was saying. It's not their fault or problem, i just wish we had more notice to prepare.

they haven't showed up yet. They told me they would be there around 9 and its now 11....I am so lucky to have great neighbors that work from home who are willing to come over during the day and check in if i see something happen...

so here i sit and stare.

Live streaming video by Ustream

i did make sure and point out that the camera was aimed at them as they worked.
Ya'll have done such a good job on everything, and that neighbor
smack.gif
how awful to say something like that.

So everything went pretty smoothly! I have some wonderful neighbors that love our flock and were happy to keep checking in on them as the day went on. Their coop is super sturdy, and pretty far from the tree so I left them in there. I my stomach was in knots the whole time I watched them hack that tree down. a few branches fell on the run but no real damage. Thanks for letting me vent and for all your kind words! Here's what they used to remove the huge branches...

Back
Top Bottom