1. bow-chicka-bow-bow

bow-chicka-bow-bow Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2011
    Fuquay-Varina, NC
    What type of bedding material do you recommend for your nest boxes? I have pine shavings on the floor in the coop. Didn't know if I should get hay or straw. We have quite a lot of pinestraw in the yard, but didn't know if I should use it or not.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

2. crookedcreekranch

crookedcreekranch Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2010
    I just use the same pine shavings in the nesting boxes as I use for the floor. The girls seem very happy with the shavings. I tried hay, but they didn't like it and laid outside the boxes. The shavings are very easy to clean out when necessary. I just use a cat litter scooper to remove any poop or dirt and just throw in new shavings.

3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Most definitely avoid hay; they tend to eat it, and it can become balled up in their crop and then they become cropbound. If you do a search on here, probably 75% of the birds with cropbound issues are as a result of eating hay. They just cannot break it down quickly enough to pass through, so it turns round & round, becoming a larger and larger ball.

Straw is not the best choice, simply becuase it's more difficult to clean it out, and also, if you ever have a mite issue, the mites can hide in the shafts of the straw making it uber difficult to get rid of them.

Shavings are probably your best choice! Easy, economical, absorbent...

4. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    I rake up the pine straw around my place and use it for the nest boxes and add to the deep litter compost.

5. Smith farm

Smith farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Blum, Tx
    I would agree with the pine shavings It's all I've ever used and have had great success

6. bow-chicka-bow-bow

bow-chicka-bow-bow Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2011
    Fuquay-Varina, NC
    Thanks for the advice. I think I'll go with the pine shaving since I already have them. It would make it easier and one less thing to buy. [​IMG]

7. NattiFan

NattiFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2010
    Plainfield, CT
    I've been using some hay since day one...after reading this, I may switch to shavings...real soon....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by