Nest box camera recommendations?

julskinka

Crowing
Mar 28, 2018
New Jersey (Mercer County)
I'm pretty sure I've got an egg-eater in our midst. Whoever it is, is so good at it that they leave no sign other than a depression in the bedding. They don't eat the marans eggs, but seem to be eating all the other kinds. I want to stick cameras in my nest boxes so I can see who is actually laying and who is eating the eggs.
Any recommendations for cameras?

I've been happy with the Wyze cameras. Cheaper than a lot of options, and quality is really good. They have motion detection on them as well, and you don't have to pay extra for that feature. I believe you can also store clips locally on your own system, but I have not done that yet.
We just got a Wyze camera for the chicken yard and love it! Amazing quality and features for the price! Shows up excellent at night too. We have the Wyze cam v3.

You have to have wifi that reaches your coop and electricity, but I agree, the wyze cams are really nice. I also have the V3.
I even have a couple cheapy Walmart cameras, they're Geeni brand I think, and those have actually worked quite well too.

You have to have wifi that reaches your coop and electricity, but I agree, the wyze cams are really nice. I also have the V3.
I even have a couple cheapy Walmart cameras, they're Geeni brand I think, and those have actually worked quite well too.
Oh yea I forgot about that! We have a shed with electricity by our run and we placed a Wi-Fi extender in it to get the Wi-Fi out there (the chickens are a couple hundred feet from the house) and ran an extension cord to the camera, so far it’s worked out great and has lasted through rain, wind and hail.

Hmmm we'd have to run an extension cord out to the coop, which isn't too far. I'm not sure our router goes that far tho. Will have to test.

Are the Wyze cameras small enough to go in each nest box, or do you just have one pointed at the side of the coop that has next boxes on it?

Hmmm we'd have to run an extension cord out to the coop, which isn't too far. I'm not sure our router goes that far tho. Will have to test.

Are the Wyze cameras small enough to go in each nest box, or do you just have one pointed at the side of the coop that has next boxes on it?
It would probably be easiest to just have one pointed toward the nest box. They're not big, but they're not small enough to fit in a nest box without being tipped over by a laying hen probably.

Our Wyze cameras are the wireless ones, and the battery life is pretty decent. I have the motion activated notices turned off b/c it's really annoying, so that probably gets longer life out of them. If you only have one in the nesting box, it won't be constant notifications like mine that are aimed at the run. They charge up pretty fast though, so it's not been a big deal to bring them in to do that.

You could hang them inside/above the nesting box, pointed downward at the nest. Mine has the little hole/hook on the back for hanging it with a nail/screw.

Our Wyze cameras are the wireless ones, and the battery life is pretty decent. I have the motion activated notices turned off b/c it's really annoying, so that probably gets longer life out of them. If you only have one in the nesting box, it won't be constant notifications like mine that are aimed at the run. They charge up pretty fast though, so it's not been a big deal to bring them in to do that.
Could you possibly share specifically which model this is? I'm not sure I'm looking at the right thing.

Back
Top Bottom