Nest box, coop and run material.

Just what I was going to say. The coop needs to be located on grass and dirt -- natural materials for a livestock animal. Not only is it better for the chickens but long-term exposure to the chicken poop over time will damage the concrete.

@Banana01's preference for non-organic materials is rare and based on an unusual environment with unusual challenges.

The vast majority of chicken keepers use organic bedding for all purposes in the coop, run, and nestbox. In the USA pine shavings are the most popular because they are universally available, relatively inexpensive, and easy to handle.

Straw is traditional, with chopped straw being less prone to packing/matting and easier to handle.

Some areas have locally-available materials -- such as pine straw (the long, soft needles of the loblolly and longleaf pines), here in the US southeast.

Some people use dry autumn leaves.

Where, in general, are you located? Climate matters. :) You can put it into your profile for easy reference so we can give better advice.

Also, exactly how big is the coop and run? And how many chickens do you have?

Makers of prefab coops are notorious for wildly exaggerating how many chickens can be kept in them -- fooling new chicken owners and thus creating problems that rob them of their joy in keeping their birds. :(
I moved my coop on the grass today. I live in South Florida. So it’s hot and humid most of the year. But not as humid during this time of year. I didn’t know I could add that information in my profile. So thank you! I’ll make sure to add that. I have one kikiriki chicken aka Bantam?? The cute ones that are tiny. She is just lovely. She is like a parrot. She sits on my shoulder and is the friendliest. I’m still in search of a buddy. Not sure where to search. I look forward to more advice!!! Thank you.

Attachments

• 6300C9F5-C163-4A60-A2BA-71AFAC7B049E.jpeg
    6300C9F5-C163-4A60-A2BA-71AFAC7B049E.jpeg
    327.8 KB · Views: 11
  • F9815D3E-F800-4C06-A685-7C10C52BAD17.jpeg
    F9815D3E-F800-4C06-A685-7C10C52BAD17.jpeg
    485.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 28A50429-640C-4E81-8467-1233E6D7F25D.jpeg
    28A50429-640C-4E81-8467-1233E6D7F25D.jpeg
    683.2 KB · Views: 10
  • CEE873EA-80D1-449A-8739-C7B7F23AAB61.jpeg
    CEE873EA-80D1-449A-8739-C7B7F23AAB61.jpeg
    1,007.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 3B3CE9BB-2E73-4397-9267-34FF30DE05D5.jpeg
    3B3CE9BB-2E73-4397-9267-34FF30DE05D5.jpeg
    477.3 KB · Views: 11
  • B41DC4C8-E1EB-4B2F-A622-CCA83CAD2808.jpeg
    B41DC4C8-E1EB-4B2F-A622-CCA83CAD2808.jpeg
    465.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Yes, chickens are flock animals so they need the companionship of their own kind.

You're in the right place to learn about them to make the decision that works for you in re: how many to have.
Thank you so much!!! I love it! I will check it out. Your reply prompted me to think of several questions…… which I’m sure I can search here… but how do I know if I need to do anything in regards to wellness check? This chicken is very lovely and healthy. She is clean and doesn’t have any lice or mites. But I was wondering… do I need to give her anything prophylaxis for salmonella and worms? Sort of like when you adopt a stray cat and or any other pet. She came to me….. she has laid a total of about 15 eggs since I have had her too… She doesn’t have worms from looking at her poop. But all of this just came to mind. Thanks and sorry if I’m asking you in the wrong post. I’m just so excited!

Thank you so much!!! I love it! I will check it out. Your reply prompted me to think of several questions…… which I’m sure I can search here… but how do I know if I need to do anything in regards to wellness check? This chicken is very lovely and healthy. She is clean and doesn’t have any lice or mites. But I was wondering… do I need to give her anything prophylaxis for salmonella and worms? Sort of like when you adopt a stray cat and or any other pet. She came to me….. she has laid a total of about 15 eggs since I have had her too… She doesn’t have worms from looking at her poop. But all of this just came to mind. Thanks and sorry if I’m asking you in the wrong post. I’m just so excited!

Chickens don't generally need the same kind of routine preventive care that cats and dogs do. I personally do not believe in treating problems until they are actually PROBLEMS. :)

I'm on the elderly Chromebook so I can't readily find you links, but there are a lot of Chickens 101 type articles under the articles tab.

The Usual Guidelines for housing are that for each adult, standard-size hen you need:

4 square feet in the coop,
10 square feet in the run,
1 linear foot of roost,
1 square foot of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation -- best located over the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.

It's usually said that 2 bantams = 1 large fowl bird for these purposes. I don't keep bantams so I don't know how accurate that is.

Also, those numbers represent both minimums and guidelines -- because live animals are never a one-size-fits-all situation. :D

After you read enough to collect a lot of questions, it's usually best to put threads with several related questions into the relevant topical section of the forum in order to get the best information. :)

Chickens don't generally need the same kind of routine preventive care that cats and dogs do. I personally do not believe in treating problems until they are actually PROBLEMS. :)

I'm on the elderly Chromebook so I can't readily find you links, but there are a lot of Chickens 101 type articles under the articles tab.

The Usual Guidelines for housing are that for each adult, standard-size hen you need:

4 square feet in the coop,
10 square feet in the run,
1 linear foot of roost,
1 square foot of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation -- best located over the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.

It's usually said that 2 bantams = 1 large fowl bird for these purposes. I don't keep bantams so I don't know how accurate that is.

Also, those numbers represent both minimums and guidelines -- because live animals are never a one-size-fits-all situation. :D

After you read enough to collect a lot of questions, it's usually best to put threads with several related questions into the relevant topical section of the forum in order to get the best information. :)
Lovely indeed! Thanks so much the housing guidelines. Very detailed and helpful! Also thanks for answering my off topic question! Will search the threads!

Back
Top Bottom