Nest box door...or not???

Hey cooped -up, can you elaborate about what you are going to do to make things easier please? What kind of access are you planning to get the eggs? An exterior egg nesting box door?

Still waiting to see the above mentioned pvc awesome idea!!
rant.gif

Here's a few nest boxes I used for outside access in the new cattle panel coop I just built. I framed out the access doors with scrap tongue in groove that just happens to be perfect for the material I used for a door.

This is the front of the nest boxes during the build...the one on the left is lined with thick cardboard for insulating purposes and the right will be also. These are plastic totes with the lids that lock onto the tote with the handles. You can take the whole front off for cleaning out, to remove a stubborn broody hen, etc. If you get a broody, you can move her, tote and all to another place if you so wish with very little disturbance of her or the nest. Then you just slip another tote nest in it's place and go about your business as usual.

This is the back view with the doors open. I just used the bottom of the tote for the slide door and fit it to the tongue in groove frame, added handles and it works like a dream. Even the sliding door is insulated with the cardboard.

These were unbelievably easy to construct/adapt into nest boxes. Even I could do it!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Yes, they aren't the best looking, but they are between our coop and the garage so not much of an eyesore. With two toddlers at home, we were looking for a quick and effective solution to get the eggs and this fit the bill. ;)

Those are cute! And very neat looking...one would never know their purpose by looking, just looks like some kind of water line/sewer cleanout or some such.
thumbsup.gif

I think they look great! So professional! Who would have thought of such a solution...how do the kids like putting their hands in that pipe?
big_smile.png

I think you should~if you have not already~post this to the coop and construction page because this is the first time I've seen this idea and it is a good one. Cheap, effective, weatherproof, pred proof.

Back
Top Bottom