Nest Box for Orpingtons

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cluckfan, Aug 31, 2011.

1. cluckfan

cluckfan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Bloomfield KY
    Do you find that you need a non standard nest box for Orpingtons or other large chickens?
    My husband is convinced that our Hens are not going to nest in a 12 inch ware box. My hens are not laying yet , but soon will be.[​IMG]

2. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

As long as they can fit into it im sure they will lay.[​IMG]

3. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    All 13 of my bo's lay in 12 x12 boxes. I have trouble getting them out of there but it doesn't seem to be a problem for them and have even seen two in at a time.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  4. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    my boxes are 14 x 14 and i'm thinking I made them too big. Maybe I should have made them 12 x 12.

5. SycolinWoodsChickens

SycolinWoodsChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I'm not sure it matters that much if the box is larger than 12x12. Our Orps lay in a small dog kennel. We like the size - way bigger than 14 x 14 - and the fact that when they go broody we can pick the whole thing up and move them to a better location to raise the chicks!

Errr... I mean ducks. This year our broodies just hatched out duckllings for us. [​IMG]

What mine like the most is the darkest location they can find. We have 7 kennels with the chooks and they like to lay in whatever ones are in the darkest location and ignore the others.

6. cluckfan

May 17, 2011
    Bloomfield KY
    Quote:That's what I think, but my spouse calls them Turkeys:gig

7. cluckfan

May 17, 2011
    Bloomfield KY
    Quote:Two at a time! Ha Ha. would lve to see that. These girls are huge. I love them.

8. cluckfan

May 17, 2011
    Bloomfield KY
    Quote:I think he would haved loved to had 14x14 boxes. I said settle for what you can get or make them yourself.
    My hens will be stuffed into them for sure, but asong as it works !

9. cluckfan

May 17, 2011
    Bloomfield KY
    Quote:My temporary coop has ben a large kennel but they were starting to fight for room. We got two rectangler dog houses at TSC and are refitting them with roost, and boxes and a smaller doorway. It seems to work. Like the thought of broody hens being able to be moved so easy with your ideal.

10. offmyroost

offmyroost Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2011
    My two orpingtons are BIG girls and they just started laying. I had the same concerns you do, but the 12 inch boxes haven't been a problem. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by