Nest box Height or Duck coop version 2.0

AKCub

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 1, 2011
Anchorage, Alaska
I'm in the process of revising the design of my first coop and have a question about nest boxes for ducks. I have 3 Muscovy's and a Khaki Campbell. It looks like I have 3 hens/ducks. Version 2.0 is going to be 4' x 5' x 5'.

How high should the nest boxes be? How many do I need for 3 ducks? Is 12" x 12" an appropriate size? How deep?

Bonus question: what is a "good" maximum height for steps for ducks?

Thanks in advance!

Scott

My gang:
P1020747.jpg

P1020740.jpg

P1020739.jpg

P1020746.jpg

I never thought of using a coop for my ducks or nest boxes my goose lays her eggs in a patch of high grass. I leave my ducks out side 24/7 though.
I am interested in hearing what others have to say though. In the winter they just sleep in the chicken coop then they come out to free range in the day.

12 by 12 is fine, but ducks are not as enamored of nest boxes as chickens. One box will be plenty for three ducks, two if you want to be super extra sure or if you're hoping one may set for a while. They don't care much about height either, as long as they can get in comfortably.

Enjoy, and post pics of the coop when it's ready!

I also had the same question about duckcoop height.
Now I know that it can be15 inches and still be great.
This lady is going to have 21 Muscovy babies and she wants to give me couple.
However, of having a coop/pen combo beaning back is the coop and the front is the pen,
that is 12 foot high , X 6 ft wide and 8 foot in length, I only can have 6 birds?
BAck wall will have plywood and house ( coop) build to it and the frong is 6 ' pen all with hardware cloth.
Even under the plywood, I put hard ware cloth.

Back
Top Bottom