nest box material

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by papeine, Nov 7, 2011.

1. papeine

papeine Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2010
    Hastings
    I am having an issue with cracked or smashed eggs in the next boxes.. I have tried shaving, straw and grass clippings.. the chickens push that out.. .Now i have alpaca fiber (from the first shearing.. apparently not good for making yarn).. any way, since I did that, they have really slowed down with egg laying. Could this have something to do with the fiber? ... Any suggestions as to what to use for nesting material???

thanks

2. LT

LT Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    We use pine shavings, but we put corrugated cardboard in the bottom of the wooden nest box. This helps with cleaning and making a softer cushion for landing. We haven't had any problems with cracked eggs at all.

3. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    I've always used hay. I see they have pushed the contents out of one of the nest boxes, well, some of it, but I have not had any issues with cracked eggs. Are the shells hard? Are they really thin?

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Pine shaving here too. My girls hated hay and would kick it out of the nests.

5. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:They could be slowing because of the time of year. Some folks use indoor outdoor carpet cut to fit the box. The plastick kind is good for cushioning eggs. You can put shavings, or whatever over the top of the carpet and if they scratch it out, the carpet will soften the egg drop. Whatever you do about it, do it quickly, before they decide to eat the eggs.......Pop

6. Hwlchickmama

Hwlchickmama Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2011
    I use the green hay that the pet store sells for hamsters n guinea pigs... I have 6 boxes (3high, 3low) the bottom boxes I can't keep n.e thing in they just pull it out.and eat/play w/ it.. the top they have been nesting in. Try making the ledge out of the.box higher I've noticed it helps kuz no matter what they.push it.around good luck!!

7. FlyRobinFly

FlyRobinFly Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2011
    Has anyone ever tried using CareFresh, the bedding sold in pet stores for small animals? I have a couple bags left over from my sugar gliders, and am considering using that for nest boxes.

Thanks,
    Robin

8. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Sounds like the shells are too thin. I haven't seen any cracks yet on mine. I use a mixture of hay/shavings. They seem to like the two together.

9. Hwlchickmama

Hwlchickmama Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2011
    Robin.... I saw that stuff too but I thought my.girls would play w/ it.too much.... But I have noticed they play w/ every thing sooooo its werth a try let us know how it goes [​IMG]

10. FlyRobinFly

FlyRobinFly Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2011
    Will do...I figure I have the stuff, might as well give it a try. [​IMG]

Robin

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by