Nest Box Opening

PDXcluck

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 21, 2012
Portland, OR
Hi all,

I know this topic has been covered pretty thoroughly but I couldn't find an answer to a specific question...If my nest box is 13" high on the inside, but I put a 3 or 4 inch lip on the front to keep bedding out and eggs in, the effective opening is only 9 or 10 inches. So, if it has a 9 inch opening, but is 13 high x 14 wide x 14 deep once inside, is this enough for a bigger breed like a Dark Brahma, which will be (theoretically) my biggest hen...? The roof is also going to be pitched slightly because it is an external nest box, so it will probably slope to about 11 or 10 inches tall in back.

Do I need to make it bigger?

Thanks!

I have a Light Brahma. A 9-10 inch opening seems rather small. My boxes are 14-17 inches in every direction. I was just looking at my LB in the box a few minutes ago. Even with that size box her tail smushes up against one side and touches the roof of the nest box slightly. Obviously this doesn't bother her as she lays in the box reliably. But, I wouldn't build a smaller box.

Excellent, that is what I needed to know, thank you much. Yesterday I started to frame in the nest box, I thought a foot would be enough and then bumped to 13 to leave room for floor height but I forgot that I am going to put a big lip in the front to keep the coop floor and nest box floor separate. I also didn't really account for the sloping roof which will shrink the height in back. I will pull that 2x4 out and try again :)

Back
Top Bottom