Nest box partitions: Yea, or nay?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CrackyMcZap, Aug 7, 2011.

1. CrackyMcZap

CrackyMcZap Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2010
    Eugene, OR
    Just finished putting together my nest box (aside from some roofing and a lock) and was weighing my options. Partitions to make three 12" x 12" boxes or just leave the three entrances to one big 12" x 36" communal box? What say you, BYC? Pros and cons for each option?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My flock is half second-year hens and half first-year pullets just reaching point of lay. They are starting to mix better but the groups still like to generally segregate.

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    I don't think the hens will care either way [​IMG] I like the idea of air-flow ---especially if you have lazy layers. This heat is BRUTAL!

3. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    You ought to put a partition - could just be wire if you need airflow - but I think the hens want seclusion when nesting, and also, the others may not respect her nest and step on her eggs, getting them dirty. A good hen keeps her eggs clean, sterile, actually. Just my opinion.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

My brother has a very similar set-up to yours - his girls lay just fine in them. Mine are partitioned, and my girls lay just fine in them. To save time, leave it the way it is for now - and if your chickens have issues, then you can always add a partition or two later [​IMG]

5. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    Hi from Ga. I wouldn't bother all the chickens are going to lay in the same spot any way. Its funny when you see 3 or 4 stacked on top of each other. [​IMG]

6. sunnyvera

sunnyvera Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2010
    NE Ohio
    I have 4 boxes and they only lay in the same 2 every day. The hens seem to make a little depression in the litter and lay where they want to anyway. One big next would be fine. Wait and see.

7. CrackyMcZap

Oct 25, 2010
    Eugene, OR
    Thanks for the replies. I think I will wait and see. I moved some of their nesting materials into the new box and they have already shoved the three golf balls into one nest.

8. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Overrun With Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Yea, I'd wait and see. Mine came with dividers but I've been tempted to remove them. My Jersey Giant barely fits in there and when she finishes laying, her tail feathers are always ruffled.

9. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Hey, Love your design. wouldn't worry 'bout dividers. I have community boxes and the girls have no prob with it. They share better than we do. Good luck
    Erik

10. CrackyMcZap

Oct 25, 2010
    Eugene, OR
    They have now moved all the golf balls to the opposite end of the box. Their sense of feng shui must change daily.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by