Nest box pictures?

I'm a newbie to having chickens. We first had milk crates. Had 8 set up but girls only used 3-4. (That should have told me something)
hmm.png

Then I found a gentleman who had used metal nests. 12 nest per section. Well I was planning on 24-30 chickens so I bought 3 sections.

As time has gone on I finally realized that one set of nests is more than enough. They are only using 3-4 nests! So I will be selling 2 of the sets and buying more feed or chickens.
lol.png

Last edited:
My girls are only 9 weeks old now, so not laying, but I plan to use milk cartons laid on their sides; actually, I think I may need only one for my 3 girls. I like the idea of something I can remove (I'll hang the milk carton on 2 hooks) to disinfect from time to time. I have quite a few milk cartons, so will just change them out every so often and put the used one in the dishwasher...

The only colour I should avoid are the red ones, right?

This 8 nest box cluster has been in service for over 15 years, the only change is the slanted panels in front of the nests were added. They are hinged and can be folded up to close off the nest boxes when I have juveniles learning to use the roost---this prevents them from roosting in the nest boxes and pooping up a storm making messy eggs.
36435_gossiphens.jpg

Last edited:
Mine is an upright cabinet set on it's side with the back removed. I found it on the side of the road with a "free" sign on it! The door opens down to get to the eggs. One shelf left in is a divider. I only have the one cabinet (with 2 boxes) as I only have 6 pullets (but they haven't started laying yet...)

It is to the left of the photo
60407_chicken_coop_2010_052.jpg

Outside
60407_chicken_coop_2010_013.jpg

Last edited:
I have a "high" henhouse with a run underneath, because at first I only had a couple of Isa Browns. When I adopted some Silkies I realised that I needed a "low" nesting box for emergencies. I am usually home all day, so I can lift the Silkies into the "high" henhouse when they need to lay an egg or when it is time for bed in the evenings. However, for those few occasions when I am not home I needed a "low" nesting box that would fit underneath the henhouse in the run. I was about to build one myself when I thought that a cat toilet would do just fine. One of those toilets with a cover and a catflap. They are very cheap (I bought one for $25) and extremely practical. All I had to do was remove the catflap and slip in some plastic over the filter on top (to avoid rain coming in) and after that the Silkies took to it straight away. It is very easy to clean and because they hardly weigh anything they can be removedfrom the henhouse without any trouble. Simple, cheap and practical.
I took a photo of Clover in her nesting box, I hope it will display on the forum. So far I haven't quite figured out how to do that. Fingers crossed...

My silkies love these also. I have 3 of them in the coop now and I have a broody in one now. My standard size hens use them too so they are big enough for my leghorns & EE's but I think the silkies have first dibs on them. That is why I had to get more than one!
wink.png

My full size leghorn is using the same covered kitty litter box as above . I use in my foraging pen which they are out in all day but could also be used inside a regular coop. It's nice because with a broody hen u can put her out in the run with the other hens during the day and put her back in the coop at night without disturbing her. Just pick up by handle & move. It is very easy to clean out , I use pinestraw in mine. I just priced them for $9.99 new. Sure u could get cheaper at yard sale.

Here I was thinking I was very original...
hmm.png
I'm glad to hear other hens are enjoying the benefits of laying in litter boxes as well. It sounds like I soon need to buy a second one, hopefully for only $9.99...

Back
Top Bottom