Nest Box Questions

Gindee77

Songster
11 Years
Mar 31, 2008
QCA, Illinois
We just built our nest box for our little coop and for 8-10 maybe 12 chickens (which is what we're hoping for) and we made 3 nest boxes. Is this enough for as many as 12 hens?

The dimensions for each box are 10 1/2" deep X 12" high X 14" wide. I hope that's enough room. I know most people make them 12"X12"X12".

Here's a picture of it.

Coop_NestBoxes_5April08.jpg

I don't know about how others may respond to your post but I will tell you I have 10 boxes for only 6 hens and they all lay in just 2 of the nests! My last batch of hens did the same thing. Seems like they pick a favorite and will wait until someone vacates that nest. I have even seen two hens on the same nest before! I would just gather your eggs a couple times a day to prevent any getting broken, but it should be alright. Nice looking nest boxes, BTW!
frow.gif

JSC, I love your nest boxes, they look so professional! Our coop is so small and three nest boxes just fit in one end. But we figured if we needed more we could put three more on top. I love your little walkway out front. We just used a 1X2 with the edges beveled off to make it rounder and easier for the hens to grip. I don't know if that will hold full grown hens or not, but it's easily replaceable.

Beekissed, I read in one of my chicken books last night that we only need one box per every 4-5 chickens so 3 boxes could work for up to 15 chickens. If mine end up like yours (having a couple favorite boxes) then I think I'm okay.

Thanks a million for your replies! And for the welcome. I'm loving this forum...everyone here is so knowledgeable!!
cool.png

We also have a ten hole chicken nest that is in our 1st coop with about 7 layers. They only use three of the nests. I think you are fine the nesting boxes you made look great. Now just to wait for eggs.

Plenty of boxes. I have all my eggs layed in one nest. Wierd why hens do that. I suppose it's like people at a party. They all end up in the kitchen...
big_smile.png

I notice that your nests have flat roofs. I bet you end up with birds roosting on them. You could put an angled board on top if you want to prevent this, or perhaps put some lino on top so the poop clean up is easier. The other choice would be to put a little strip of wood around the roof edges, and sprinkle some shavings on it. The wood contains the shavings, and it makes for easy poop clean up.

Just an idea...
smile.png

Hi Nuggetsowner... I can't wait for eggs, but I have to be patient. My chicks are only 1 week and 2 weeks old. LOL It will be a while yet!
hmm.png

Hi bills...Yeah I think you're right about the kitchen! LOL About the flat roofs...we left them flat in case we needed to put another layer of nests on top. I think that adding a board and adding bedding material is a great idea! I might just do that ...it would give the hens a bit more space! I'd love to try the lino too...would it be too slippery? I know, I sounds like an over-protective mama! LOL
lol.png

Anyway, I'm so glad to hear that we have enough nest boxes!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom