1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Nest box/ Raccoon question

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Give_Peeps_A_Chance, May 14, 2009.

1. Give_Peeps_A_Chance

Give_Peeps_A_Chance Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2009
    Maine
    I am new to keeping chickens and have a new coop. I do not have chickens yet, but I DO have 2 Raccoons that live on my property. My nest boxes are about 4 feet off the ground and open from the outside. They don't have a latch. DO I need to put one on? Can the Raccoons figure out how to open the nest boxes and get to the chickens? Any help/ advice on this would be appreciated.

Thanks friends!

2. Polish Chickens

Polish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    Houston
    Yes you will need to lock your new coop to keep predators out from the coop and also an electric fence and also you will need to put a board underneath your coop that way they won't kill your flock. You can also buy predator proof equipment to keep away predators

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  3. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    First ... [​IMG]

Second... raccoons are amazingly good at getting into chicken coops and runs. They can open many different kinds of locks too; some people have actually had to use padlocks with a key to keep raccoons out. They will rip through chicken wire or reach through and grab a chicken and pull it back out. They are great climbers.

So - yes you absolutely need to lock your nest boxes and really predator proof your chicken coop.

Good luck and have fun with your chickens.

4. jhart101

jhart101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Clayton, NC
    [​IMG] from NC.

Yes, lock them up. If you go for a simple latch then over time they will figure it out also...pretty smart critters!

5. Polish Chickens

Polish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    Houston
    Forgot to say welcome to BYC and 100% predator proof your coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by