Nest box stuffing

Reinbeau

The Teapot Underground
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Mar 1, 2007
Hanson, MA & Lebanon, Maine
What should I put into my nest boxes? We're going to be putting them together tomorrow and installing them and I'd like to get them ready, even if we may have to wait quite a few more weeks (they're all 18 weeks old last Wednesday).

I put straw in mine, helps keep the eggs and broodies warmer!

They can also move it around to make it more 'nest-shaped'

Last edited:
We have tried both straw and wood shavings. My chickens would "kick, scratch" out most of the straw until the nests were almost bare. I am not sure why.... So, we switched to wood shavings. I probably put in enought for it to bee 2 inches deep in each of the nesting boxes. The chickens will move it around to make it a "nest", but it stays in the boxes. So, we like the shavings.

Hope this helps!

Reinbeau I'm glad you asked this question because I was wondering the same thing this morning. I prepared the coop this morning with some pine shavings on the floor, and put a little bit in the nest boxes... I was planning on using mostly straw in them... should I add anything else, or do you think the girls will be fine with that?

***I also have a dustpan that I use just for cleaning out the nesting boxes. It works very well as it fits perfectly in each one. It make cleaning them out a very quick job.

Someone I know said she used shavings and a hen got them in her vent while laying and ended up with a horrifying infection because of it. She told me to get rid of my shavings and put straw. I put heavy stemmed wheat straw and it messed up the pigment on my marans eggs, so I covered over that with a layer of bermuda hay and so far so good.

Back
Top Bottom