Nest box stuffing

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Reinbeau, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

What should I put into my nest boxes? We're going to be putting them together tomorrow and installing them and I'd like to get them ready, even if we may have to wait quite a few more weeks (they're all 18 weeks old last Wednesday).

2. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

I lined mine with rubber carpet padding and put indoor/outdoor carpeting over that.

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I put straw in mine, helps keep the eggs and broodies warmer!

They can also move it around to make it more 'nest-shaped'

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  4. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have woodchippings and nesting stuff for small animals like rabbits and stuff mixed together.

5. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    I use grass clippings that have been dried for a couple days before raking them up.

6. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    We have tried both straw and wood shavings. My chickens would "kick, scratch" out most of the straw until the nests were almost bare. I am not sure why.... So, we switched to wood shavings. I probably put in enought for it to bee 2 inches deep in each of the nesting boxes. The chickens will move it around to make it a "nest", but it stays in the boxes. So, we like the shavings.

Hope this helps!

7. Picky Chicky

Picky Chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    Reinbeau I'm glad you asked this question because I was wondering the same thing this morning. I prepared the coop this morning with some pine shavings on the floor, and put a little bit in the nest boxes... I was planning on using mostly straw in them... should I add anything else, or do you think the girls will be fine with that?

8. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    ***I also have a dustpan that I use just for cleaning out the nesting boxes. It works very well as it fits perfectly in each one. It make cleaning them out a very quick job.

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I use hay and I like it a whole lot better than when we used shavings.

10. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Someone I know said she used shavings and a hen got them in her vent while laying and ended up with a horrifying infection because of it. She told me to get rid of my shavings and put straw. I put heavy stemmed wheat straw and it messed up the pigment on my marans eggs, so I covered over that with a layer of bermuda hay and so far so good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by