Nest Box

new2chickstx

Hatching
8 Years
Sep 16, 2011
I am getting a few layers from my friend who is moving and can't take them with her. They are about a year old but they are just kept in a run right now and lay in the run in no particular place. I will have a run and coop with nest boxes. Will they continue to lay in the run or will they figure out the nest boxes? What can I do to "help" them?

Try placing a wooden egg, plastic easter egg (filled with sand/dirt and then taped closed) or even a golf ball in the nest boxes. That will make them curious and hopefully they will start scratching around and get the hint. If you see them lay one in the run, try picking it up and putting it in the nest box. Hopefully the others will take notice and follow suite. Good luck. Chickens are awesome!!!

You can put a fake egg or golf ball in the nesting boxes and they will get the idea. I don't think they really like laying out in the open. The cheapest nesting boxes in my coop cost just $3.00 (reuse store) they are covered kitty litter box & 10 out of my 14 hens are share one and snubbing my well thought out custom built ones. In our newest coop - I repurposed kitchen lower cabinets each one has a lower and upper nesting box and the new hens seem to love them. 24 birds are sharing 2 cabinets but, four birds can easily fit in each one.

Back
Top Bottom