Nest boxes and feeders - about time!

Lilion

Crowing
9 Years
Mar 28, 2014
Kinda SW MO
With two hens laying, I HAD to get this done! Now if they use them, instead of the floor, we'll be golden. Figured while we were at it, we'd put in the feeders we've been planning . Was happy to find the litter was dry all the way thru - our roof fix was successful!
20230128_172056.jpg
20230128_172102.jpg

Last edited:
Is there a backing to the nest boxes, thinking they may want more "privacy". You could try those fake ceramic eggs or a golf ball. It may take time for them to adjust to the nest box ...
The boxes are up tight against the wall. We are thinking of cutting doors in the back wall so we can gather eggs without going in the coop. Or we may not. I did put a golf ball in each one after the picture.

Love the setup! How have your feeders been working for your? I have been looking into wall feeders, but can't decide one what I want to do. I like the PVC pipe idea.

How have your feeders been working for your? I have been looking into wall feeders, but can't decide one what I want to do. I like the PVC pipe idea.
No idea... this was the first day. The chickens hadn't even seen them yet. But I think they'll work well. We used 4" pvc. Most plans call for 3". We were still using a little trough for chicks that they kept dumping. This has to work better.

No idea... this was the first day. The chickens hadn't even seen them yet. But I think they'll work well. We used 4" pvc. Most plans call for 3". We were still using a little trough for chicks that they kept dumping. This has to work better.
Great ideas!! If you don’t mind, can you get a pic of where you fill the feeders?

Just checked the chickens and they seem very happy today, but the nest boxes are unused...I wonder if we put them too high? They're about 4" lower than the lower roost. It's about 14" to the bottom of the box. I wonder if I should put a roost in front? They've been laying on the floor over by the pop door...and one did this morning so far.
20230129_113245.jpg

Back
Top Bottom