nest boxes and lighting

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by RonB, Sep 3, 2009.

1. RonB

RonB Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Woodinville
    I have four nest boxes 18" off the ground (roosts are 2' to 5') each box is 12"w X 14"d the sides are 18" high but open at the top. should I put a top on them?

I was going to put a light in the coop for the winter to create more daylight. However after reading that some of you don't, to give your girls some rest. I am reconsidering it. I don't know why my girls need rest they haven't done anything yet but eat, sleep,and poop. since I got them [​IMG] If I do put a light in, where should it go? in the center of the coop, over the roost, or over the nest box?

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

I would put a top on them.

As for light, thats debate that will never end.

Its a matter of personal choice as to weather to add light or not.

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    If you have a light, I'd put it in the center, and have it on a timer to come on early in the morning

4. hplowe

hplowe Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2009
    Newnan, GA
    is the light for LIGHT or heat? if it is for light, I may rip apart some of those solar driveway lights andinstall those [​IMG]

5. RonB

RonB Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Woodinville
    rebelcowboysnb
    I did put a top on, glad I did now. I put a roost above it. Thanks

Bear foot
    I was thinking in the center too,but wanted to see what others thought. It will be for light,but want an outlet just in case I need heat

Thanks

6. JValera

JValera Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2016
    Hi,

I will have ( Barred Rocks , Black Australop , Bluff Orlington , Silver Laced and Red Sex Link )

I would like to know, if can I put this nestling boxes .. 18 inch to the ground ( floor ) ??

[​IMG]
    :

# 1 ..... Model BB10 .... nest size 10 " high by 14 " wide

thank you so much .

--Jorge

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by