Nest boxes and perhces..how high?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chilisweet, Jun 20, 2008.

1. chilisweet

chilisweet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    We are still working on our coop, it seems to be a never ending project! We are just about done, and now have no idea how high up we should put the nest boxes and perch! I know that they perch needs to be higher than the boxes..but can someone give me a general idea on how high up they need to go?

Thanks!
    ~Caran:cool:

2. consdrs

consdrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    Hey there! welcome! I'm in Vancouver too!! how kool is that. as to your question, I'm new too, so IDK. mine are 2.5 ft. and my nest boxes are 18 inches off the floor. its about time we got some sun!!!

Connie

3. RayP

RayP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Gainesville Florida
    The nesting boxes can go on the floor if you want, as for the perches make different heights so they can choose what they like.

4. Chickaroo!

Chickaroo! Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2007
    I was told probably no more then 18 inches off the floor for nest boxes. I'm not positive about the roosts. Mine are a ladder style roost so with that style I don't think it mattered.

5. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I've been told the bigger the hen the lower the nest box, for safe landings after laying. We have golden comets and production reds, and our boxes and attached perch are 12" off the floor.

6. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    That's probably a good rule. If you have say, under 5 hens, you can also just put one community nesting space on the floor of the run, like a milk crate with the open side up, and they will lay in there. Just put some golf balls in there to show them where.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by