Nest boxes idea that works

columbiacritter

Songster
11 Years
Jun 7, 2008
Scappoose Oregon
11550_nestboxes.jpg

The dish pans are great for several reasons.

1. If you have a hen like of mine who likes to kick out most of the straw the bottom is still bouncy enough eggs don't break!
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

2. Easily cleaned. One is missing in this pic because someone took a big dump in it and it was out being soaked and scrubbed clean. Most of the time I just shake out the old straw and dust then put them back.

3. Cheap, easily replaced for about $2 a piece.
cool.png

4. I can sprinkle a little DE under the dishpans so any mites are fleas are dealt with but the hens aren't sitting directly in it.

Hope this helps someone design their nests.

This is a great idea. I'm going to use it in our hay. We have two chickens that like to lay in the winter llama hay! We can't get them to lay in their nice nesting boxes that the others lay in.

I am building my coop right now and love that idea. Thanks for sharing!! I amsure the dollar store has those as well.
wink.png

Thats a really great idea, and so simple. I'm building a coop now too and this is really helpful. Thanks!!
smile.png

Thanks for sharing your ideas...seeing what others do (and variety IS the spice of life
wink.png
), helps the rest of us figure out what will work best in our situations
smile.png

I have a white rock that has to scratch everything out of the nest and will a wood base, we end up with cracked eggs from her often.

Back
Top Bottom