Nest boxes in the run?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by daver, Sep 3, 2011.

1. daver

daver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Linden, NC
    Being limited in coop space, could I use covered cat litter boxes in the run which has plenty of space?

Dave

2. Redberry

Redberry Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2011
    Lincolnshire
    My chickens favourite nest box is a cat carrier box without the door, just set in the corner on the floor. Before that they just had cardboard boxes. So yes I think your litter trays will be fine (and easy to wash). The problem with cardboard is that red mite can hide in the corrugations, so need replacing frequently. I think they like the cat carrier because it has light coming in through the vents in the side, but they feel safe and secure.

Just noticed you said in the run, should be ok as long as its a calm, dry space near to the coop. Oh and use a fake egg to give them the idea.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Sure you can put your nest box in the run. Just make sure that it is covered, so rain doesn't get in.

4. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    The chooks make their nest wherever they want to round here. They have nesting boxes, but they'll crawl under any covering, bush, nettle (not pleasant collecting! [​IMG]), etc. I say put in those boxes and go for it, they don't really mind where they lay as long as it's sheltered.

5. silky_3699

silky_3699 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    My Own Realm!!!
    ray's two cents :

The chooks make their nest wherever they want to round here. They have nesting boxes, but they'll crawl under any covering, bush, nettle (not pleasant collecting! [​IMG]), etc. I say put in those boxes and go for it, they don't really mind where they lay as long as it's sheltered.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by