Nest boxes?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by LeviS, Mar 25, 2017.

1. LeviS

LeviS Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2012
    North Dakota
    So I have one turkey and I've noticed that she started to lay eggs in my nest boxes. I am just about to start remodeling the henhouse and was wondering if I should make larger nest boxes to accommodate turkeys. So my question is is it normal for turkeys to use nest boxes or should I just keep him chicken size... this just a fluke? I plan on having more turkeys in the future, is why I'm asking I guess.

If so what size should I make the nest boxes? The ines I have are pretty big but are falling apart(carpentry skills ha e improved I hope, since I fist got chickens)

2. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Slip over to the century of turkey talk thread. @memphis just built one so her hens don't ding up their tails. I'm sure she has good specs.

I can't tell you specs as I let my hens use doghouses or a piece of plywood leaned against the wall.

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Mine mostly nest on the ground. If you continue to collect the eggs they will move to a new site. From my experiences they don't continuously lay in the same spot like a chicken does. I do have a plastic dog house that mine will use until the grass and weeds start to grow, than they switch to ground nests in the weeds.

4. jlynnp

jlynnp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2014
    Sparta, TN
    I have very large plastic dog crates with straw in them and the hens seem to like them. Of course one uses a stall in the barn - she likes lots of space.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by