1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Nest Boxes

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by amysue2012, Oct 8, 2007.

1. amysue2012

amysue2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2007
    Montpelier Ohio
    So far Ive just got a few old Rabbit boxes sitting around that the chickens were laying in. Im getting ready to build a "wall" of chicken boxes, was ganna go 3 high and 4 across. With each box being aprox. 10" x 10". Does that sound right? With a 2" lip or so on the front to hold in bedding.

This will give me 12 boxes I have 13 hens but Ive been told that some will share nests.

I have 4 Idas and 9 Barred Rocks if it matters.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2007
  2. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    I would only do 3or 4 boxes
    I have 7boxes and all the 15 chickens use 2 of those, I guess they like those best. You only need 1 box for each 4 or 5 hens, so 1 per is overdoing it unless you plan to get a lot more hens.

I would also have the board that works as a lip a little taller mine are 4" they tend to make a bowl to lay in and will push more bedding out the lower the board

If standard chickens you may ant boxes a little bigger I thnk mine are 12x14

Last edited: Oct 8, 2007
  3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I wouldn't go to too much trouble on those nest boxes. 4 or 5 hens will share a nest box. Maybe even more if it has been deemed a prime nest box by the flock. LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by