1. countrygirl911

countrygirl911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Mississippi
    Hi everyone i have 4 of 18 chickens that will start to lay real soon i had this idea of using milk crates as the nesting boxes for them but i am not sure about how to go about setting them up any ideas would be greatly appreciated

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Put in straw or shavings and nail them to the wall... open side up. [​IMG]

3. countrygirl911

countrygirl911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Mississippi
    will they fly up into them or do i need to build something to help them get up in them

4. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    I would make a sort of platform for them, turn them on their side with the opening facing front. I would probably lay something inside it to 'contain' the shavings/hay (a cardboard box the same size would work). I decided to go with 5 gallon buckets myself. I have plenty of plywood and I am going to make a "rack" to hold them. I am going to cut U shaped places where the buckets will sit so they don't move. They will be lightweight and easy to clean. I really wanted to make wooden ones, but it is just too dang hot!

5. Puma

Puma Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2009
    Riverside
    Take a 1"x12"x10' pine board and attach a 1"x4"x10' pine to the front edge. Sit this on 4 cinder blocks and place your crates right on it. When you want to clean, just lift out the crates empty and refill with straw. Very easy and inexpensive set-up.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by